#FightForRespite

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi all,

mancmum, thanks for the info - trying to carve out time to get around to contacting radio 4, just a bit hectic at the moment.

Contacted by the head of care for the elderly again yesterday - she was supposed to phone me on Monday, but had been held up waiting for finance to confirm funding for respite beds.

As part of a pilot scheme, last 6 months, just ONE respite bed has been commissioned, in the sister home to the EMI home where Mil attends day care. One bookable bed for the whole area is so little - but I guess its better than what we had this time last month. The head of elderly care was actually really nice and semed keen to improve the situation round here, and I am hoping she took on board what I said about actually informing carers that a respite bed is now available - I am concerned that carer's wont find out about the availability and that it won't be continued if there isn't a good 'uptake' on bookings. As Carers have been told that for nearly 2 years that respite isn't available, they won't now go looking unless they know that its now available - albeit in a very limited form!

She also said that they are looking to I guess 're-vamp' dementia services in the area. Again, I was told that there is funding, and she said she wants to make sure that what they are able to offer is actually useful to carers and caree's alike. We talked briefly about issues with some day care facilities only offering 3 or 4 hour sessions, issues around transport to and from day care, we touched briefly on the lack of dementia knowledge with some medical professionals, about the false image of demetia that is portrayed too often in the media - and (more during the previous conversation I had with her) about the pitfalls of the now common place use of agencies, the lack of continuity, reliability and a lot of the other issues. She has asked could she contact me for information and feedback as she hopes to get a 'new' approach in place - and, of course, I said yes. She struck me as sincere, so I am really, really hoping that there will be some changes in this area - and if this area can do it, there is simply no excuse for anywhere else not to make an effort too!

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Hi all,

mancmum, thanks for the info - trying to carve out time to get around to contacting radio 4, just a bit hectic at the moment.

Contacted by the head of care for the elderly again yesterday - she was supposed to phone me on Monday, but had been held up waiting for finance to confirm funding for respite beds.

As part of a pilot scheme, last 6 months, just ONE respite bed has been commissioned, in the sister home to the EMI home where Mil attends day care. One bookable bed for the whole area is so little - but I guess its better than what we had this time last month. The head of elderly care was actually really nice and semed keen to improve the situation round here, and I am hoping she took on board what I said about actually informing carers that a respite bed is now available - I am concerned that carer's wont find out about the availability and that it won't be continued if there isn't a good 'uptake' on bookings. As Carers have been told that for nearly 2 years that respite isn't available, they won't now go looking unless they know that its now available - albeit in a very limited form!

She also said that they are looking to I guess 're-vamp' dementia services in the area. Again, I was told that there is funding, and she said she wants to make sure that what they are able to offer is actually useful to carers and caree's alike. We talked briefly about issues with some day care facilities only offering 3 or 4 hour sessions, issues around transport to and from day care, we touched briefly on the lack of dementia knowledge with some medical professionals, about the false image of demetia that is portrayed too often in the media - and (more during the previous conversation I had with her) about the pitfalls of the now common place use of agencies, the lack of continuity, reliability and a lot of the other issues. She has asked could she contact me for information and feedback as she hopes to get a 'new' approach in place - and, of course, I said yes. She struck me as sincere, so I am really, really hoping that there will be some changes in this area - and if this area can do it, there is simply no excuse for anywhere else not to make an effort too!

Sounds like you have made a good contact there: keep up the good work.

Thinking of having a hair do myself today and hopefully that will lead to creating a better impression with those who hold the purse strings for respite here. It seems your makeover has made its mark in your part of the world. Can't quite make my mind up whether to go for the Summer Crop with clippers 6 and 4.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
That sounds encouraging Ann, although maybe more work and time taken up for you. Maybe we could support you with this? One idea that comes to mind is for you to start a thread where people could put a brief summary of what are the biggest difficulties they encounter that are influenced by or connected with the LA in any way? I think it would need to be a factual post rather than complaints put there (not underestimating the need or wish to complain elsewhere ) and that could then give you some "evidence" to share. It wouldn't matter if the same things were repeated - if 20 people said the short days at daycare for example, it would just reinforce the issue. Maybe you could say you were running the thread for two weeks to get input? Just a thought and realise it might not work for how you would want to approach it. x

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Ann could you inform the day centre staff about the respite bed & ask them to spread awareness to other carers?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
No, GL, go wild and woolly! You haven't got time to go to the barbers as you have to look after your wife 24/7. That's one of the reasons you want respite!

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
No, GL, go wild and woolly! You haven't got time to go to the barbers as you have to look after your wife 24/7. That's one of the reasons you want respite!

My eye brows already are. I am beginning to look like Dennis Healey. Anyway 15 minutes in the chair with Polly, Lauren or Emma is worth a £5, and that includes a tip!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Good contact, Ann. If she's seeking input from someone as experienced and articulate as you it bodes well in your area.

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Ann so very pleased that have respite for your Dau show. You had to fight extremely hard for it , causing you a lot of extra work & stress which you can well do without.
However you get MIL into the home I sincerely hope that you can relax & thoroughly enjoy your weekend.
No-one deserves it more!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Trying to sort out some problems re Mum and via a Carers website came across a link to this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/114...ffered-respite-and-psychological-support.html

Norman Lamb I think, was referring to this when he spoke on Radio 5 Live - he said about the carers assessment (which I pointed out that some of us get now, anyway) but he also said that carers would get an annual sum of money that they can use to perhaps pay for additional respite, which would allow them a break and perhaps to do things like access further education or training.

If all this happens - fabulous - but, my feeling is that its no use councils giveing assessments, and providing additional funding to pay for respite, if there is nothing in place to ensure that the facilities for respite are not available. Its a glaring loophole, and one which councils are already (I personally think) using, to save funds and stay within budgets :(

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Norman Lamb I think, was referring to this when he spoke on Radio 5 Live - he said about the carers assessment (which I pointed out that some of us get now, anyway) but he also said that carers would get an annual sum of money that they can use to perhaps pay for additional respite, which would allow them a break and perhaps to do things like access further education or training.

If all this happens - fabulous - but, my feeling is that its no use councils giveing assessments, and providing additional funding to pay for respite, if there is nothing in place to ensure that the facilities for respite are not available. Its a glaring loophole, and one which councils are already (I personally think) using, to save funds and stay within budgets :(

I am sure we are all waiting with bated breath to see what Local Luthorities will make of this alongside their implementation of the new Care Act. I have been invited to a meeting at our Carers Centre on Monday where there is going to be an explanation of the local plans for implementation of the Act.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Sadly I agree Ann and posted the link here in case anyone wanted to refer to it when trying to get respite or argue the need for beds to be in place for respite to happen x

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Presumably it is OK for David Cameron to say what he likes in the run up to an election (other politicians are available) as, if he doesn't get re-elected it's all pie in the sky anyway. If he does he can shift the goal posts & or blame LAs.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Over here, you are entitled to 4 weeks respite per year (funded by State). In addition, registered Carers get a Respite Grant of 1,375 euro per year- paid to the carer, and can be used as they wish. You can buy an extra week's respite, or buy in agency hours, or spend it on a holiday yourself while your caree is in for respite etc. In reality, mostly it's spent on the extra costs of caring for someone - like extra heat, higher electricity bills, transport costs extra clothes for those who are incontinent, "luxuries " like incontinence wipes, bath in bed wipes etc. But at least it's there! It used to be 1,700, but was cut, a victim of austerity!

Skyrim

Jun 19, 2015
Fight for respite

Joining this thread a little late in the day because I recently asked for respite to go to a family party with my partner ( for a change), the LA started the process but the bed offer was withdrqwn as already booked. Family party was cancelled ( my dads91st). I am suddenly and, i feel, gastily, being "offered a financial assessment" and the carers assessment, followed by a teview of MILs needs....all in September.
Why oh why do I get the feeling that somethings rotten on the state of De mark, they will poke into finances, probably expecte a higher contribution and I will leave with last years respite allocation either withdrawn or continuing as inavailable?
Because I worked part time in the 36 council-run homes they closed last year, evicting and rehoming @350 residents in the provate sector. Therre are 4 beds available across Devon....I am not emergency-desperate but, as others have said, I didn't sign up to this without the promise of breaks every so often.
I gather advice is to take up a therapeutic occupation....does the 30 hours a week working in an acute mh unit feel therrpeutic to me? No. If thats the result of my cares review, I shan't be pleased. And, on a financial point, has anyone else been told to use MILs attendance Allowance, that goes towards two days day care, to pay for any suport I might need?
That covers me....I will get nothing because I have my own income. My partner, who still lives in the family home, has only that space as "therapy". Whats the average rate of burnout nowadays, since these "improvements".
38 degrees campaign again anyone?

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Ann

Hello Ann & everybody , As some of you might know I left TP for my own reasons ( nothing too do with FAB TP ! ) However posted for the first time the other day & was having a **browse ** & saw this Thread **

Am not a real **expert ** on lack of Respite etc but I expect in the future my Mother will need some *respite ** after so long ( 2009 ) caring for my Father (tho expect a lot of T P'ers have been Carer's longer than that )

A few Years ago went too a local Conference about Caring / Support Services etc There was also a Q & A session ( Staff from Adult Social Care , etc ) Asked about respite & was told **Rolling Respite ** was not available :( Not that my Father needed that but felt sorry & cross for the Carer's that did

Ann >> Very pleased for you that you were able too have your family break** & good luck with this very important FIGHT !

Will **pop ** back too your Thread Ann

Grove x

missmo

Feb 26, 2011
Cheshire
Just found this thread it was copied to me from carers uk site, as many people i have been caring for my partner 5 years now and in that time had one break away from it all and what a stressfull time it was to get the respite. Like many i had to wait to the very last minute before i was confirmed a place in a local carehome, couldnt book in advance, what a joy it would be to be able to boom a break in advance xo many carers would take advantage of this. Where can i sign anything to help, not been sent anything on facebook, not seen anything on the carers forum uk either. Is the fi b t still going on ?

missmo

Feb 26, 2011
Cheshire
I have just found the facebook page and asked to join but i am very surprised there are only 20 members if i have read it correctly.