Feeling guilty about wet wipes

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Following stuff in the news today regarding pollution and wet wipes I am feeling a bit bad. I would never dream of putting baby wipes down the loo but I use "flushable toilet tissue wipes" to clean my husband after an initial wipe with loo roll and it seems although these claim to be flushable that they are also causing problems.
I am not terribly keen on putting them straight in the bin. I have memories of a toilet on one of the Greek Islands where you opened the door and a great cloud of flies flew out having just alighted from the uncovered bin of toilet paper in the corner.
I have been pondering this all day and my best solution is putting the wipes in a nappy sack and tying it closed before putting in the pedal bin with lid. As I have to do all this one handed, the other hand is supporting my husband, I think I will need to fix a little hook on the wall within reach to hold the bag open for the wipes during this operation. Anyone got any better ideas?
Tre

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Oh, heaven help us, Tre! For me, it's disposal of cat filth. It must be dreadful for you, with only one hand, sorting your caring issues out :(

Pedal bin with a fliptop lid comes to mind...we don't fancy any flies in summer, do we. Uuurrr!

D'ya think a pedal bin is any good?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We have a pedal bin which I line every day with a plastic bag.

....Izzy's product looks much better.

You get one cartridge with it and then have to buy more afterwards. I find that the cartridge lasts quite a long time. The bin will seal about 8-10 of our pads, depending on how heavy they are! Once you twist and seal the last one the cartridge is ready to be used again.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I do have a pedal bin in which I currently put the vinyl gloves but I pull these off so they are inside out and they are not soiled like the wipes.
Izzy I am amazed these bins are not VAT exempt- guess they must be a luxury item like sanitary protection for ladies, not exempt like razor blades.
Tre

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I do have a pedal bin in which I currently put the vinyl gloves but I pull these off so they are inside out and they are not soiled like the wipes.
Izzy I am amazed these bins are not VAT exempt- guess they must be a luxury item like sanitary protection for ladies, not exempt like razor blades.
Tre

Can you pull the glove off inside out and contain the wipe in the glove as you do so? the soiled wipe is contained a bit, don't know how big the wipes are:)

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
What about that current advert for tampons with their own sealable disposal envelope so that when you are sailing the high seas you do not have to worry about hygienic disposal! Surely somewhere on the market is something which would enable the items to be sealed in the same way and disposed of with the normal rubbish like disposable nappies?

withy

Feb 23, 2013
Lancashire
Tre, all carers should have at least 3 hands! I too struggle propping up my OH whilst I clean him up and he has a frame to hold onto but still leans back on me. I open the nappy sack first and leave it handy, in the sink sometimes, or on the floor. It usually stays open. I hadnt thought of a hook.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Wipes are not large but I sometimes have to use several.sually at least two. Manufacturers say no more than two per flush but having had several toilet unblocking incidents I tend to flush one at a time. Guess this is really wasteful of water so I need to go dowwn the binning route from that point as well.
Tre

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Couldn't you put the in a biodegradable dog poo bad and put them in the bin, they only cost pennies some tie up but there are ones that seal.
K

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
guess they must be a luxury item like sanitary protection for ladies, not exempt like razor blades.
Tre

That's one of the biggest urban myths going Tre, razors have 20% VAT on them, sanpro products have 5% VAT the minimum allowed under the EU regulations.
You see the argument used over and over and it simply isn't true.
I do however agree there should be no tax at all on any sanpro products but for that you have to blame the EU and it's unlikely the UK government will break the rules, if it didn't happen when for 10 years we had a woman prime minister I doubt it will happen now.
K

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
As I live on Brazil, hot weather and no flush on toilet paper. So I have one small bin without lid, that I cover with plastic bag. After 'use' I remove the bag to a trash bin (with lid) ImageUploadedByTalking Point1426870836.705964.jpg. I use any shopping bag for it.

Other idea is look for a diaper genie

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I used incontinence wipes rather than wet wipes for my husband - I found I didn't need as many, as they are designed with adults in mind! They are bigger. But I think either one of the special bins shown here, or one of those bins where you wave your hand over a sensor and it opens (or a pedal bin - cheaper!) liked with bin liner is the way to go. What I used to do was use dog-poo bags for the wipes, but then when dealing with soiled pads, I bought a roll of plastic carrier bags and had one over the bin ready. Keep the bin empty otherwise -just use for that purpose. Then drop everything in, tie the bag and put in outside bin. I have a septic tank, so couldn't put even "flushable" items down the loo. Nothing at all other than plain loo paper. And the guy who empties the tank warned me even to be careful what type of paper I get - nothing too thick or quilted, as it doesn't dissolve.

ps. If my OH was in a real mess, I generally used a wash cloth and washed him down, then the cloths got washed out, and boiled before going in the wash.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Tre, it might be an idea to put the nappy bag in a container of some kind, so that it's ready for use but open wide, rather than hanging it on a hook -- can imagine it could be tricky to get anything in it if it was just on a hook.

Like Lady A and no doubt many others, we have a septic tank and I would never flush anything other than toilet paper down the loo.

I also use incontinence wipes -- they are a good size and with judicious folding one is often enough.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman