Ratio of carers to residents in dementia care homes

TOBYJUG

Sep 11, 2010
WEST YORKSHIRE
Hello,
I am trying to find out if there is a legal requirement stating the above, or CQC guidelines? I realise that the Dependency levels will dictate the ratio to a certain extent. At the care home where my wife is, the ratio is 1to 8, but sometimes, because of working procedures, the ratio reaches 1 to 16!

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
Hello,
I am trying to find out if there is a legal requirement stating the above, or CQC guidelines? I realise that the Dependency levels will dictate the ratio to a certain extent. At the care home where my wife is, the ratio is 1to 8, but sometimes, because of working procedures, the ratio reaches 1 to 16!

not sure about the ratio per home but the home my husband is in there are about 30 people on that floor and we mostly have between 5 and 7 carers on at one time dont know if this the same in other care homes maybe we are lucky

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi TOBYJUG,

I do not think there are any set guidelines but the ratios you are quoting, if during the day, seem very high indeed even the 1-8.

My advice would be to phone the CQC and ask them what they think.

I wish you well. :)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
In my husband's CH the ratio is 1:5 max 1:6 when staff on hol, sickness, etc, which I believe is the recommended ratio but don't know if there is a legal requirement.

Sent from my GT-N5110