#FightForRespite

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
As bed blocking is such a buzz word at the moment might I suggest you also make reference to carer burn out, not only the carer but the one they care for ending up in hospital could be the cause of bed blocking.

Another valid point, Lemony - and yes, it should be included.

Has anyone else any idea's, about content or wording?

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Some suggested content - just headings as words need tweaking.

Beds per capita - now and previously

Do they have beds / commission beds. If not, why not / did they previously? If they did, why change (and when) and what was previous level of occupancy.

All of this information can be obtained with a Freedom of Information request but it would be reasonable, in my view, to ask in the normal way first then go down the FOI route if it's not forthcoming.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
We would have to be quick of the mark to ensure that you get any sort of response before the election. Actually this subject is quite a good Dissertation subject for a social work student...no ethical approval required too ..as it is information gathering.

On the care home chain that does bookable respite - not mentioning the name - that didn't apply to their branch in my area they were unable to take a booking two months in advance.

Interestingly of course the care homes have it completely stacked their way in that the the organisation 'The Care Journey' acts a clearing house for them so that they will pass you on to an another company if they cannot fulfill your request from their own company's homes.

I will contact Manchester and find out what their position is. I will do so via the social worker and my local councillor rather than through the head of social services. I would actually like some respite in June or July.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Bed blocking.

I was incensed when one example of bed blocking given was when the family would not take patient in until they had installed a wet room. How pathetic is that...not to support someone clearly making steps to ensure a return home is successful. When my MIL was got out of hospital...she went straight back in within 48 hours because she could not manage.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Was swotting up on local care homes last night. One said they offer respite care for as little as one night. Guess where I'm going tomorrow!

OK - so I phoned and asked (firmly!) to speak to Andrew Figiel - and guess what?

I was connected straight away!

And we'll see what happens, here at least, next week! If there is a positive outcome, at least we know it is possible to get these idiotic councils to 'see the light', if the right pressure is applied. And thats something that all of us can build on, hopefully :)

Congratulations, Ann, and good luck with the campaign. You've been brilliant thus far.

I was s-o-o lucky that the care home in Mother's village took respite bookings, so in the 4 years of abandoning normal life to come and live with Mother to care for her we could at least have some planned holidays (though sometimes had to tailor the dates round other bookings as they only had the one respite room). But twice we had to scrabble round to find somewhere else - once they gave back word on a long-standing booking because they'd accidentally double booked, once we neede to get to a funeral at zero notice) and it was very stressful though fortunately good LA care home not too far away could take her. But Mother was only relatively mildly affected by her Alz - still a nicely-behaved 90+, just confused and with no short term memory, so was relatively easy to accommodate. But couldn't ever have been left on her own overnight.

But bookable respite for carers is absolutely essential. Without it, I'm afraid we'd have moved Mother into a care home within months of Father's death: not least to save our marriage. Not fair on husband to deprive him of holidays and even just weekends away just because my Mother needed our care. It must be desperate for people with children, who have every reasonable expectation of being able to have a family holiday.

Good luck to all in our campaigning on this. It's so important in making life tolerable for carers and their families, and preserving their mental health, and making the whole caring thing doable.

Link to Radio5 corrected

Hi everyone,
Norman Lamb, Minister of State at the Department of Health - I spoke to him on Radio 5 Live this morning about this issue. (you can listen to the programme on this link, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054p0cx#auto - I spoke to him at about 45.30 minutes in) He went on about funding being available, but had nothing to say about the increasing practise of removing the availibility of actual respite facilities. ...

I just followed that link and it led me to the programme on Fri 13th - also about dementia. I found your splendid input on Thurs 12th on this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054p0cx . You were brilliant.

Pam

Last edited:

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
Well done, Ann. You did a great job on 5Live.

On Radio 4 in recent days, they've been heavily promoting the fact that they want to hear from Listeners about issues they'd live to see raised within Election coverage. Worth a pop at Radio 4 too?

Details are on the BBC Radio 4 homepage. (Sorry... Can't post a link as I haven't made 10 posts yet)

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Manchester City Council has no bookable respite beds

Well just to confirm that I requested respite bookable in advance so I could go on holida and was told Manchester had no block booked beds. They were not aware of people having any problems in booking respite in the private sector.

I also reported the non-functioning website.

I have to report that I was phoned back quickly by the duty social worker in less than 24 hours after I contacted them by e-mail.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks Amelia - will be contacting radio 4 :)

Mancmum, thanks for that - its would be a massive help if anyone who was able could post on this thread what the situation, re:availability of bookable respite, is in their area - give us a smidge of an idea just how widespread this issue is.

Nothing from LA here yet, though I guess it is early in the week - I'm trying to carve out time to get something written that could be a 'template' that all who wanted could use to raise the issue wherever we can. With all those in 'authority' that I've dealt with, there has been a tendency for me to query availability and them to reply by blethering on that 'funds are available' and sidestepping the main point - I want to find the right words to make sure that there is no option for a response like that in what I am writing!

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Ann, would it be helpful if we all put together some sentences and sections and pm'd them to you so that you could tweak them into the core of a letter?

The reason I am suggesting pm rather than here is that sometimes, seeing others have written xyz will make some people feel "Oh I probably can't do better" when, in fact, starting with a blank sheet and personal experience, they might just come up with the ideal phrase.

I will hopefully get some time after lunch and will do some then if that would help.

Take care x

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Ann, would it be helpful if we all put together some sentences and sections and pm'd them to you so that you could tweak them into the core of a letter?

The reason I am suggesting pm rather than here is that sometimes, seeing others have written xyz will make some people feel "Oh I probably can't do better" when, in fact, starting with a blank sheet and personal experience, they might just come up with the ideal phrase.

I will hopefully get some time after lunch and will do some then if that would help.

Take care x

That would be fab, Celia - yes please! I want to make sure that I get everyones input, and cover all the associated issues and concerns - scared I'll miss something out or phrase it wrongly !

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Talking to one of the senior carers at Mum's about this and he asked if we were using Instagram? I think I have an account but don't use it, anyone here an Instagram whizz?

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
This website provides a direct link to your elected representatives.

https://www.writetothem.com/

It will automatically direct e-mail to the right people.

Its a useful resource. Well it is if you have decent councillors.

When you come up with a letter should this be reposted in the campaigns area?

Vintage43

Oct 23, 2013
Emergency respite - scotland

I have just been reading through this thread and am in the situation of needing emergency respite care for my mum as she live alone and has started wandering. The only option my SW could give me for emergency respite was 2 privatly owned homes, which were TOTALY unsuitable. This was offered because the small amount of council respite places were full. I believe these 2 private homes had bed spaces because no one would want to put their relitive in there. I have called round many other private homes in my area that advertise on their web pages that they do respite care to then be told 1) its a miss print! 2) why would they if they could put a full time person in?? So actualy no one seems to have respite. I have been told by my SW that if mum was to wander again they may have to take it out my hands and put her in one of those horrific places for the short term untill a suitable full time place comes up. Yes i am worried sick.

Now on another note, i have pre booked respite before for a short break, I had to push to book 6 months before to ensure a placement. The respite was in a LA home which in my area the LA Homes are by far supperior to any private homes i have seen in every way. Mum thought she was in a fancy hotel, and her experience was very positive.

There are not nearly enough quality respite places to be had.
And in my mind care and respite care should ONLY be run by the LA, as some things in life like care should NOT be up to make profit out of to line someones pockets. Any profit made should be put back into the system, keeping the standard of care up to a high and equal level in all homes.

C

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Rang my SW today (she isn't anymore, spoke to someone else grrr!) she said I had to ring a company (I know they deal with direct payments...) they directed me to a list on their website. Shall try ringing some of them next week as away for 3 nights from Thursday & super busy tomorrow. I don't need respite yet but will soonish (who knows when, how long is a piece of string!?!)

I will let you know how I get on.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Spoke to someone who is in the front line of care in Buckinghamshire re short notice/short time respite beds and why not available.

They told me that the council used to have 2 beds per care home in the area they are involved in but the council stopped block booking emergency respite beds in 2008 when the banks crashed. It seems that the local council lost money in the Icelandic crash and cancelled things they considered "unessential"

Despite trying to reinstate these beds, nothing will convince the council that it is an essential need. They insist there is no one in the area requiring this type of care....

As an aside.... This council will also not provide wheel chairs through OT/Physio if a person is in a care home. It is up to the relatives to buy a wheelchair if one is needed. They will provide wheelchairs to those in their own homes, but consider those in care as not needing them...

Words fail me in commenting on this logic.....

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
A private nursing home manager I spoke to today said they kept a spare room and several people used it regularly. At the moment it would be available for emergency respite BUT he is leaving at the end of the month and who can tell what the new manager will do. He did say occupancy in the home is rising, intimating that this room may not be available for much longer. OH would be self funding, but they also take LA people.