Glasses and hearing aids thrown to floor and break

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
Mum, sadly seems in the later stages of AD. Now in a Nursing home following a fall and broken hip. Unable to mobilize due to AD. In hospital, she developed the habit of throwing her hearing aids, glasses and teeth onto the floor when 'upset' with them. This has continued in NH and many will know how difficult it can be to get timely repairs. The no doubt hygienic hard floors do not help here, does anyone have any advice/suggestions?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can get indestructible glasses , quite often wrap around, they are used by athletes.

To make the lenses indestructible they have to be plastic, if she needs a high powered prescription this may not be possible.

Just checked 'should have gone to', they don't seem to offer them, you will have to go elsewhere or maybe phone them.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
just been looking for my mother in laws glasses as she has "put then down some where "as she said so I went hunting took me 1/2 hr found them in her wait paper bin ARRRRRRR why oh why do I bother . her son wonders if its a cry for help as we finding it had to make any sence of some things she says.she been living with us for over 2 yrs and since being diagnosed with Vascualr demenia no one wants to know I final rang for help last Thursday and they said they would ring back and its now Wednesday.Think my husband is heading for a break down as we have no time only together and all we talk about his him mum as she doing this and that .not sure how long we can go on like this.
:(

Lady in blue

Mar 6, 2015
Sheffield
We had this problem with my Mum.
Her glasses were often found on top of her wardrobe after getting frustrated and throwing them !
It's often wise to look in the most unlikely place first !
Regards.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
We had this problem with my Mum.
Her glasses were often found on top of her wardrobe after getting frustrated and throwing them !
It's often wise to look in the most unlikely place first !
Regards.

thank yes think that might be an idea .I thought it was only us having problems feel better since coming on here

Lady in blue

Mar 6, 2015
Sheffield
thank yes think that might be an idea .I thought it was only us having problems feel better since coming on here

So do I - I wish I'd come along sooner !
When Mum lived at home she did some very bizarre things and I have to admit, during the early stages, to thinking she was doing them on purpose - attention seeking if you like.
Of course, I know now that it's all part of the disease process but at the time it was very frustrating. I guess I was in denial at the time and hoping that things would soon get back to normal- they never did of course.
Please take comfort in the surety that there will be someone on this forum who is going through or has gone through what you are experiencing now.
Keep in touch.

Last edited: