Inappropriate sexual behaviour.

Tess6266

Mar 4, 2015
Ribchester
Hi

Has anyone experienced this with their loved one?

Briefly, my 86 year old mum lives with me and my husband.

Due to mum being very poorly with acute bronchitus for 8 weeks I started using a baby monitor so I could react if she needed me. It has been a great help, however, of late mum has started to comfort herself sexually. I was fine with this as she was in the confines of her own room and if it gives her pleasure that is her perogative, however, when I went out the other evening and left her watching TV with my husband I returned to find him very distressed as she had been making VERY inappropriate requests of him. Although I know it is the illness causing her to act like this it was not something I could just leave so I explained very sternly to her that this was not acceptable behaviour. She is now very depressed and I'm not sure if she realises what she has done or if she will just forget about it until next time.

Has anyone experience this behaviour and if so how should I deal with it effectively. My husband is very worried about being left alone with her again which will make it very difficult for me to get out of the house.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi

Has anyone experienced this with their loved one?

Briefly, my 86 year old mum lives with me and my husband.

Due to mum being very poorly with acute bronchitus for 8 weeks I started using a baby monitor so I could react if she needed me. It has been a great help, however, of late mum has started to comfort herself sexually. I was fine with this as she was in the confines of her own room and if it gives her pleasure that is her perogative, however, when I went out the other evening and left her watching TV with my husband I returned to find him very distressed as she had been making VERY inappropriate requests of him. Although I know it is the illness causing her to act like this it was not something I could just leave so I explained very sternly to her that this was not acceptable behaviour. She is now very depressed and I'm not sure if she realises what she has done or if she will just forget about it until next time.

Has anyone experience this behaviour and if so how should I deal with it effectively. My husband is very worried about being left alone with her again which will make it very difficult for me to get out of the house.

Hi Tess and welcome
There is a fact sheet here which might help
K
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=129

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
Oh Tess that sounds very worrying for both you and your husband. I guess it is the dementia that is doing this and that your mother would be mortified if she was aware of it. I have no advice to offer I'm afraid - have you thought about calling the Alzheimer Support line?

It reminds me of when my OH and I visited his mother when she was in a care home and in advanced stage of Alzheimers. I foolishly asked her if she thought that my OH looked like his late father at which point she started to behave rather inappropriately towards him. We were able to distract her and by the time we visited again (we lived a long way away so couldn't visit that often) she was not aware enough to understand anything we said.

Kebuck2012

Nov 28, 2012
Oh Tess that sounds very worrying for both you and your husband. I guess it is the dementia that is doing this and that your mother would be mortified if she was aware of it. I have no advice to offer I'm afraid - have you thought about calling the Alzheimer Support line?

It reminds me of when my OH and I visited his mother when she was in a care home and in advanced stage of Alzheimers. I foolishly asked her if she thought that my OH looked like his late father at which point she started to behave rather inappropriately towards him. We were able to distract her and by the time we visited again (we lived a long way away so couldn't visit that often) she was not aware enough to understand anything we said.

Just sending a Carers Hug

Tess6266

Mar 4, 2015
Ribchester
Just sending a Carers Hug

Thank you. To any one else who has read this, she is in a much better mood today having apologised to my husband. That must have been very difficult as she must have aware of what she had done. Im sure she will be mortified so let's hope she forgets quickly. However, if it happens to anyone else out there I think the stern talk did the trick!!