Ground coffee like vomit

Billy's Girl

Oct 8, 2013
West Yorkshire
My husband has been admitted to hospital from his nursing home on two separate occasions after vomiting up blood. First time he had his painkillers reduced as this was thought to be causing it. He was sent home after it settled down. Again on Friday last it started again, only worse and he went into hospital on Sunday. He also has a blood pressure bottom reading of 180. Yesterday I was told he had been stable and had not vomited since and they would probably discharge him. I told the doctor I was not happy as there must be something causing this and it needed looking into. He is also off his eating. I know he cannot have an endoscopy because of his Alzheimers but surely this will be happening all the time as the home will continue to send him in if it happens again. This is not good for him and he looks worn out. They also are so stretched they didn't realise he couldn't feed himself even though I insisted they put it on his notes when he was admitted. I went in yesterday and there was a cold cup of coffee by him, making me realise they did not know so I had to remind them. The previous weekend he went two days without food! I despair!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Goodness that sounds really bad Billy's Girl, your poor husband. It's awful that you have to fight so hard to get him the treatment he needs, and I know other people have posted that they have needed to stay in hospital with their cared for one to ensure they eat/etc, and just to translate their actions/needs. It's so wrong and you must feel very alone. I hope there is someone on here who can give you better advice than I can, but I do send love and best wishes.
Es
x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
To be honest, your husband would probably be better looked after in his care home.
They know him and would be able to monitor his condition and watch his food and fluid intake and generally give him better care.
In addition he will no doubt feel more comfortbale in familiar surroundings.

However, yes, the cause of the bleeding needs investigating unless there is something already known about which might be causing it. Your husband's GP should get a report from the hospital but I would also ask to speak to the hospital doctor before any discharge is arranged.
I do hope you have a satisfactory response. Good luck.

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
My mother vomited gritty blood when she had a bowel obstruction/strangulated hernia. (She then had surgery and delirium for 11 days, it was the worst thing we've been through yet.) I trust they've done a scan of the GI tract? Is he still moving his bowels?

Billy's Girl

Oct 8, 2013
West Yorkshire
My mother vomited gritty blood when she had a bowel obstruction/strangulated hernia. (She then had surgery and delirium for 11 days, it was the worst thing we've been through yet.) I trust they've done a scan of the GI tract? Is he still moving his bowels?

Yes, whilst I was there to feed lunch. I have been now told he will have an endoscopy if he can cope with it. I have been thinking he is better in the home, where they know him, but we still need to know what it is. They have not done any scans and I have been told by the doctor this afternoon that the endoscopy is the only thing they can do to find out the cause. We will have to see, but he appears comfortable. Thank you for your responses.