Question about Memory Teams

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I realise there will be difference between countries, but as our Memory Team has been established in the last year since my Mum was diagnosed with AD, I'm just wanting to know what Memory Teams in the UK, or any other country do?
Dad was referred last year, and diagnosed with cognitive impairment 8 mths ago.
They are wanting to see him to do a review.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
In Scotland we have a consultant psychiatrist in charge who sees patients every six months until it is no longer deemed necessary. If they are on medication a CPN - community psychiatric nurse - will come out every six weeks or so. If no medication is given a Link worker is appointed and comes once a month for a year.

The latter will advise on help available in the form of social groups, carers, agencies, availability of benefits etc. whatever they think is needed. They report back to the consultant as does the CPN.

Although I have found this a difficult year I cannot fault the staff who have all been caring and helpful.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
In Scotland we have a consultant psychiatrist in charge who sees patients every six months until it is no longer deemed necessary. If they are on medication a CPN - community psychiatric nurse - will come out every six weeks or so. If no medication is given a Link worker is appointed and comes once a month for a year.

The latter will advise on help available in the form of social groups, carers, agencies, availability of benefits etc. whatever they think is needed. They report back to the consultant as does the CPN.

Although I have found this a difficult year I cannot fault the staff who have all been caring and helpful.

That's impressive. We had nothing apart from an annual appointment at the Memory clinic for the prescription renewal of aricept. Not even a visit from a CPN!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I've never had anything useful off the memory clinic, it's as far as I can see a monitoring exercise. They do check you're aware of benefits and give you a few leaflets, I've never seen a CPN just heard of them referred to on here.
I believe a lot of them are closing and the care being moved to the GP's whether this is a good thing or not I don't know.
K

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand

That does sound a good plan.

So far Dad was referred to the Memory Team, when he got a poorish result on a Mini me ory test by his GP, compared to a year previous. He had blood tests done.
Memory Team came to see Dad, did more testing, sent him for a CT scan, said he didn't have dementia, but cognitive impairment, and would see him in 6 mths.
Its now been 8 months.

They made the usual recommendations to Dad about reading, doing puzzles, joining a group etc, but I'm hard pressed to get Dad to do anything other than watch quizz shows & sport on TV :rolleyes:
They were going to put him on an anti depressant, as they said his mood was very flat.
Dad is always like that, its his usual personality.
My sister and I both agreed that we could see no changes in Dads usual behaviours, or routines, apart from frustration with Mum who has AD.
He just doesn't understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75