Personal memory loss

headwig100

Feb 26, 2015
This is not Alzheimer's related as such but I did not know where else to turn for advice about memory loss. I am 17 years old and I have noticed over the last 5 years my visual memory has gotten worse, it is no so bad I can not even recall what I look like or even my mother's face even though I see her daily, I have gone to the GP numerous times and has referred me to a mental health unit who believe I am autistic because my brother has the condition, I have asked to see a neurologist but I have been denied, even though I did spilt my skull when I was 8 but this was never followed up on. I don't know what to do, no one I talk to seems to understand my memory issues so it is rather isolating but I am hoping it will be better understood here, any help is greatly appreciated!

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
This is not Alzheimer's related as such but I did not know where else to turn for advice about memory loss. I am 17 years old and I have noticed over the last 5 years my visual memory has gotten worse, it is no so bad I can not even recall what I look like or even my mother's face even though I see her daily, I have gone to the GP numerous times and has referred me to a mental health unit who believe I am autistic because my brother has the condition, I have asked to see a neurologist but I have been denied, even though I did spilt my skull when I was 8 but this was never followed up on. I don't know what to do, no one I talk to seems to understand my memory issues so it is rather isolating but I am hoping it will be better understood here, any help is greatly appreciated!

I have no idea what this could be, but as its the middle of the night when most are tucked up you may not get any replies for a while so didn't want to just leave you, but meanwhile welcome to TP.
I do know when doctors don't know the cause of something however, they can sometimes seem to almost be blaming their patient for the symptom or ignoring or belittling it.Many on here have had similar problems in getting a diagnosis, and many feel relief with a diagnosis even though it may for them be devastating.
so I think you have come to the right place for support even though it is not alzheimers related.
It is obviously a problem and a worry for you. is your Mum supportive of you and can she help push this along so you get a referral?
Hopefully someone may be along in the morning with a few practical suggections.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Headwig

I think you should persevere in asking to see a neurologist .

Perhaps you could make a bargain with those around you and tell them if the neurologist conducts all tests with you and still believes you have autism, you will accept the diagnosis.

You do need your mind set at rest.