Memory

Jaxx23

Mar 15, 2012
Having just been reading some of the posts here, and it seems that many of your loved ones, are able to remember things from their past, which is normal, and which is what happened to my Grandma, but at the moment my mum really can't remember much from her past at all. Has anyone else experienced this? I know each case is completely individual, but Im a little surprised by it.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My Mum is at a moderate stage of Alzheimers.
She has good days and bad days.
On a bad day( and sometimes even on a good day) she cannot even tell you where she came from in Scotland, the name of her schools, or the street address where she lived, facts about her parents, how many sisters and brothers she has, when she emmigrated to New Zealand, and has periods of time mixed up eg. She lived in Kenya when Dad was in the Army in 1961, but also visited Indonesia in 1995. She gets the two mixed up constantly, even looking at photos, with it being obvious in one photo she is 20 yrs of age and the other she is 54yrs.

butterfly-angel

Feb 13, 2015
Malvern
My Mum is at a moderate stage of Alzheimers.
She has good days and bad days.
On a bad day( and sometimes even on a good day) she cannot even tell you where she came from in Scotland, the name of her schools, or the street address where she lived, facts about her parents, how many sisters and brothers she has, when she emmigrated to New Zealand, and has periods of time mixed up eg. She lived in Kenya when Dad was in the Army in 1961, but also visited Indonesia in 1995. She gets the two mixed up constantly, even looking at photos, with it being obvious in one photo she is 20 yrs of age and the other she is 54yrs.

I look after my nan who is late stages to alzheimer's. She's 88. We lost my grandad 10 years ago her husband.
And we have cares in. Plus me. Family don't bother with her. It's left to me and my mum. Her daughter.
Me the granddaughter. Her memory is very bad. She don't know who we all are... And gosh it hurts.
Her personality has gone. She gets very angry and aggressive. And I'm tired of the illness... I hate it.
Trying to cope... Not doing so well. I want my nan back.

Palmer22

Feb 13, 2015
Having just been reading some of the posts here, and it seems that many of your loved ones, are able to remember things from their past, which is normal, and which is what happened to my Grandma, but at the moment my mum really can't remember much from her past at all. Has anyone else experienced this? I know each case is completely individual, but Im a little surprised by it.

Hi jaxx,

I see a lot of this on a daily basis, at work and in my personal life. I think it all depends on the stage and the type of dementia/alzheimers. Not only that but depends completely on each and every individual as every single one is different. Everyone has good and bad days.

Hope this helps :)

Jodie

Lancashirelady

Oct 7, 2014
My Mum remembers virtually nothing of my childhood, which quite upset me at first, but she is quite good at when she was at grammar school during the war. However, she is starting to recall less and less - the stories are getting vaguer and involving only her and not other members of her family. For a while I had to really button my lip and try not correct her when she started to revise a well told tale her but I hope I have finally learned to go with the flow and accept what is her current version.We get the old photos out regularly and she has great difficulty distinguishing between black and white photos of me and my cousin in the late 50s/early 60s and colour snaps of my kids in the 90s,

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
A year ago, my mum could tell me in great detail about the day her father died (1963) but now she constantly asks where he is. I made a family tree for her months ago which has the dates of birth and death and she recognises the statement that he's passed away on there but claims she was never told at the time. Now, some of her stories of her younger times are changing as she tells them. It's so sad

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My mum has forgotten most of the last 30 years, and thinks I still have my first job in a bank. She has no memory of her grandchildren, but she was never interested in them when they were young anyway, When they do visit I explain they are friends of mine or even from Social Services! But she recalls her childhood clearly.

Carma

Feb 12, 2015
Stourbridge
I look after my nan who is late stages to alzheimer's. She's 88. We lost my grandad 10 years ago her husband.
And we have cares in. Plus me. Family don't bother with her. It's left to me and my mum. Her daughter.
Me the granddaughter. Her memory is very bad. She don't know who we all are... And gosh it hurts.
Her personality has gone. She gets very angry and aggressive. And I'm tired of the illness... I hate it.
Trying to cope... Not doing so well. I want my nan back.

Hi butterfly angel
So sorry that you are in this position :( At least your Nan has you and your Mum. It feels bad but you know you are doing your best. Try posting your reply as a new message in its own right so it's easier to view and other people might offer support and advice.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum doesn't remember her past, how many children she has, who her parents were, who my Dad was. Sometimes I am her sister, her Mum, or a school friend. She mostly knows my name but not always how I am related to her. It hurt like mad the first view times it happened but you get used to it.

Jaxx23

Mar 15, 2012
Thank you everyone for you comments, I forgot I had posted, scary, Im sure I spend too much time with Mum :p

Its all very interesting, and I guess I would put Mum in the middle to late stages, yet some days she seems so much better, she is steady ish on her feet, still potters about the house empyting her wardrobe, hiding tissues EVERYWHERE and drying out the moist toilet tissue I buy her. Yesterday she worried me as it was the first time she said that she 'didn't live here', but guess we are slowly moving down the ladder of this awful disease, which saddens me, as I miss MY mum, she's no longer there in spirit, in body yes.
Im the youngest at 45 of seven children and sadly most of her care is left to me. The others just don't bother, or have a life to lead!! I obviously don't, I work, have a partner and step son, but still prioritise my time at weekends to call in on mum. Thankfully she goes to a day centre 4 days a week and the one day in the week it is closed, we have the carer go in in the afternoon as well to spend time with her.