CCTV Cameras in Care Homes

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
I am amending this post as I have received further information that apparently Care Homes do not have at the moment the go ahead to put cameras in rooms. It is that relatives will be allowed to do so.

Last edited:

RobinH

Apr 9, 2012
London
The leaflet tries to discourage camera use, and for instance suggests that they should only be in private areas, ie the person's own room(s). The care home will certainly NOT be monitoring by camera, and a camera can't be installed without the permission of the resident, or if they lack capacity, their representative.

I don't think we have anything to fear in this.

Here's the actual pamphlet - read it for yourself.

Robin

Last edited:

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I have attached the CQC document.

Attachments

• 20150212_public_surveillance_leaflet_final.pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:

jen54

May 20, 2014
I feel there ought to be CCTV in patients rooms tbh, even if only turned on when specific care is given - it would make the carers realise they are being supervised- I have been really upset recently by the two new clips showing different patients being abused in their bedrooms- they are easy prey, especially if they cannot recall what has happened to tell anyone after the event.
I felt also it was totally wrong to have two young men, not in uniform, looking like a couple of thugs as it was,shown on one of the clips, caring for an elderly woman- caring for someone is a hard task, that tries even a loved one- so how someone on minimum pay, who has no deep concern would act. worries me. I was in tears, as I can't bear the thought of my mum being treated like that if she had to go into a home, she wouldn't remember where she was, or who these "thugs" were in her room rough handling her and swearing at her :( terrifying.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
If I had any concerns for Dad I would put a camera in but just by having initial concerns would probably be enough for me to re assess the home and whether I felt I could trust the staff. However, just having one in the bedroom isn't probably enough as most personal care is carried out in en suite bathroom, so one camera wouldn't be enough. If a carer is determined to deliberately abuse a resident they will probably find a way sadly. Dad hasn't generally taken to female carers so 2 lovely male carers usually tend to Dad although personal care is difficult for him to accept, but all staff at dad's home are uniformed and name labelled, as they should be.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Yet another piece of disgusting behaviour caught on camera, just makes me sick and managers / staff of care homes are worried that CCTV cameras will undermine our trust in them!!!!!!!!!

The thought that comes into my mind as I read about this is that if someone is arrested, there are cameras in the police station and police custody suite, which by and large (with some exceptions) protects them.

But when someone is in a hospital, a care home or a nursing home, they are vulnerable.

When Dad was in a falls unit he was abused. I saw some of it, saw Dad's distress, and even heard the staff member bragging about it. I could not get anyone to take it seriously except to get him discharged. As far as I am aware, the man who abused him (with inappropriate contact and comments) was not subject to any disciplinary proceedings or warnings. He is free to remain predatory on other vulnerable male patients who are unable to ward off his advances.

The only good thing about it was that with Dad's memory, he no longer remembers what happened.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
TBPH I am all for cameras .so long as the dignity of the person is preserved.
Anything that helps protect our vulnerable people from abuse has to be a good thing.

thats life

Jan 2, 2013
Northumberland
I personally believe if there were hidden cameras in ch a lot more abuse would come to light, more than most people realize, as an x manager of a ch I witnessed so much bad practice when visiting my mother, the manager did nothing about my concerns, cqc reported the ch to safeguarding during an inspection and the home was found guilty of neglect regarding my mother, I would welcome cameras they would do nothing but raise standards and protect people with dementure whom often are not believed due to the nature of their illness.

One thing that particularly bugs me in relation to cameras, especially hidden cameras, is that the argument seems to be made again and again that it would be intruding on the privacy of the staff, or similar arguments.

I don't think that's a valid objection. Much as being 'spied on' seemingly all the time may not be liked, people working in a wide range of places and jobs such as shops, banks, airports, motorway repair, call centres etc. do their jobs in front of cameras. Many other people work in front of colleagues or observed by managers.

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
The thought that comes into my mind as I read about this is that if someone is arrested, there are cameras in the police station and police custody suite, which by and large (with some exceptions) protects them.

But when someone is in a hospital, a care home or a nursing home, they are vulnerable.

When Dad was in a falls unit he was abused. I saw some of it, saw Dad's distress, and even heard the staff member bragging about it. I could not get anyone to take it seriously except to get him discharged. As far as I am aware, the man who abused him (with inappropriate contact and comments) was not subject to any disciplinary proceedings or warnings. He is free to remain predatory on other vulnerable male patients who are unable to ward off his advances.

The only good thing about it was that with Dad's memory, he no longer remembers what happened.

That's why they do it, the abuse, because they know that the person they are supposed to be caring for may not remember the abuse or be believed because they have fabricated such an incident. I found it laughable that the care home manager was worried it would undermine trust - that's the reason why there are suggestions of installing hidden cameras in first place, no trust, as the footage has justified!

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I'm not sure of Care Home practices here in New Zealand when it comes to CCTV cameras, but working for a Bank Call Centre we are used to being on camera, but it is only in the last 2 yrs that our calls were recorded.
It was to protect us as well as customers when it came to he said/she said scenarios, and to prove any verbal abuse by customers.
Most customers do not know their calls are recorded, but boy do they change their tune when you tell them their call is recorded when it comes to verbal abuse.
Quite funny really.

I would think though when it comes to vulnerable people, and to protect them as well as workers, then there should be no harm in having cameras installed, if you are doing your job properly. If you have a problem with it, you have something to fear other than lack of privacy?

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
One thing that particularly bugs me in relation to cameras, especially hidden cameras, is that the argument seems to be made again and again that it would be intruding on the privacy of the staff, or similar arguments.

I don't think that's a valid objection. Much as being 'spied on' seemingly all the time may not be liked, people working in a wide range of places and jobs such as shops, banks, airports, motorway repair, call centres etc. do their jobs in front of cameras. Many other people work in front of colleagues or observed by managers.

I couldn't agree more Petrina. I also feel that cameras placed in communal areas as well as bedrooms are vital. My dad's recent fall in the corridor wasn't witnessed. I don't now how long he was lying there! Thankfully he was okay, but...

I also constantly note that there are carer changes. My dad may appear to understand some instruction, but those who have known him for ages now understand that his yes's and no's mean nothing. As someone who is so advanced in his dementia, but is still able to wander, I fear for him all the time.

As for the lack of privacy/humans rights etc... If we are entrusting these places to look after our loved ones, it's often because they have reached the stage that sadly, their dignity has already been compromised. However, I do understand that this isn't always the case. I suppose my point is, that other than carers and nurses, who witness our loved ones in real time, who else is going to be looking at any footage from a CCTV? Not any ol' Tom, Dick or Harry, I'm sure.

A pointless rant, because it isn't going to happen anytime soon.:(

jen54

May 20, 2014
on a visit to a secondary school re choosing schools we were informed CCTV cameras were all over, even in communal bit of toilets to make sure no bullying or wrong doing occurred- I feel the same should be the case in carehomes- as said, it would at very least keep carerson their toes! same as recorded phone calls

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Having read the heartbreaking post by Raffles ('RIP Old soldier duty done') I too feel that CCTV would be a good thing, and would surely prevent much unnecessary suffering.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
I suspect some under-staffed care home owners won't want relatives to see how little time busy staff have to spend with each resident!

Agree with other posters that many of us have had to get used to being filmed in our own workplaces as well as in shops, high street, pubs etc so staff in care homes should not object. Do think great caution should be exercised about who sees the film though, as the privacy and dignity of our loved ones must be respected.