new help please

smailes

Jun 26, 2014
Hello everyone, I've been away from sometime now and am back to ask for your help. A bit of background so you can get the picture. Mum has Alzheimers and has refused to accept it. It's been a real battle for months. She has refused any care and she only remembers to take her medication when she remembers which is hardly ever. I live over 300 miles away and have always had a volatile relationship with her. Being her only relative in the UK I am the only one who is in a position to help.
I have arranged for social services to be involved but because she refuses help they say their hands are tied.
When I was first made aware of my mum's condition I was told to get lasting power of attorney but at the time due to our relationship I did not. Now that the Alzheimers has progressed and she's still refusing help but in need I feel I should but the GP has said her Alzheimers is too far advanced.
The advice I'm looking for is if neither of us can afford court fees to apply for deputyship and she's losing capacity rapidly and unable to sign a LPA what are my option?
She's on benefits and in debt and I'm not in a position to pay court fees.
Has anyone been in a similar situation and offer any advice.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Roz

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
First check that she is definately incapable of granting an LPA, it only requires a few minutes of lucidity.

All finances relating to the DWP can be handled by somebody becoming a >>>DWP APPOINTEE<<< It's a simple and free process, a DWP representative will interview both the person and the proposed appointee, these interviews can take place in different towns.

Other finances including the debts would not be covered by the appointeeship, I suggest you contact the CAB or AgeUK to get a better understanding of the problems and then seek legal advice.

smailes

Jun 26, 2014
First check that she is definately incapable of granting an LPA, it only requires a few minutes of lucidity.

All finances relating to the DWP can be handled by somebody becoming a >>>DWP APPOINTEE<<< It's a simple and free process, a DWP representative will interview both the person and the proposed appointee, these interviews can take place in different towns.

Other finances including the debts would not be covered by the appointeeship, I suggest you contact the CAB or AgeUK to get a better understanding of the problems and then seek legal advice.

Thank you for your reply. I've already spoken to age UK and they have directed me to their solicitors but they are again out of our price range for charges.
I am already an appointee for her DWP so I am.able to pay her bills and do her shopping.
I'm have just spoken to her gp and she said she's is going to refer her for a psychiatric review.
It's more a case of having something for her health reasons as she is going to need to go into a home or extra care housing but due to her dementia she can't make a decision.
Thank you again for your advice.

Roz

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The health side of things will ultimately get sorted but it may take a crisis before things are done. Whether or not your Mum agrees to help or not the LA have a duty of care to protect a vulnerable adult at risk to themselves and/or others.

The debt problem is a different matter, depending on who the creditors are this could escalate very quickly.
The https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en may be able to help, their site says 'Support in person, over the phone and online' There may be some way of formally informing the creditors that they are dealing with a person with a mental impairment.

smailes

Jun 26, 2014
The health side of things will ultimately get sorted but it may take a crisis before things are done. Whether or not your Mum agrees to help or not the LA have a duty of care to protect a vulnerable adult at risk to themselves and/or others.

The debt problem is a different matter, depending on who the creditors are this could escalate very quickly.
The https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en may be able to help, their site says 'Support in person, over the phone and online' There may be some way of formally informing the creditors that they are dealing with a person with a mental impairment.

Yes I fear I may have to wait for a crisis but I am trying to avoid that now seeing as I live so far away. I expect I'll just have to wait for another mental capacity assessment and then if she has lost capacity then decide from there. Thank you again. II don't think there is much else I can do. social services have already told me that they would have to do another assessment before they can do anything else.
I think I'm just in a limbo stage and unfortunately I may have to wait for a crisis.

Roz