Strangers in the night

Jacquetta

Jan 30, 2015
Desperate attempts to get a diagnosis from the GP finally happened as I knew it would , months worrying that we were all going round the twist except my mother were put in a place I didn't want it to be , but now it's fianlly been said ,Mam has dementia and it's out there. It's been a long time comming and the deterioration of a once brilliant mind has begun. There's only been the three of us , well I have a partner but as he is relatively recent( 4 years )he doesn't count in my Mam's short term memory so he's had it !! My Mam HAS HAD THIS CONDITION FOR YEARS, but as a brilliant mind does, covered it up by listening to conversations and using prompts and questions managed to fool the best of them. Mam is 88 . I am an only child as is my mother my Dad's brother has passed so there is a distinct lack of relatives , never mind my friend one of seven once said I was better off with out them , but I would like someone to talk to know and agin as it was always Mam who listened to my tales of heartache , and woe and good times, ... like I've lost my best mate. No more dancing to Frank Sinatra around the living room !

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Jacquette, I'm very sorry about your pain. It is so very hard. My mother also was brilliant about covering up and even well after diagnosis she presented very well.

In some ways, the beginnings are the hardest. There is so much adjustment for everyone. I haven't much to offer you but my understanding and the hope that you will achieve some balance.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Desperate attempts to get a diagnosis from the GP finally happened as I knew it would , months worrying that we were all going round the twist except my mother were put in a place I didn't want it to be , but now it's fianlly been said ,Mam has dementia and it's out there. It's been a long time comming and the deterioration of a once brilliant mind has begun. There's only been the three of us , well I have a partner but as he is relatively recent( 4 years )he doesn't count in my Mam's short term memory so he's had it !! My Mam HAS HAD THIS CONDITION FOR YEARS, but as a brilliant mind does, covered it up by listening to conversations and using prompts and questions managed to fool the best of them. Mam is 88 . I am an only child as is my mother my Dad's brother has passed so there is a distinct lack of relatives , never mind my friend one of seven once said I was better off with out them , but I would like someone to talk to know and agin as it was always Mam who listened to my tales of heartache , and woe and good times, ... like I've lost my best mate. No more dancing to Frank Sinatra around the living room !

How sad for you but T P has been a great place for me to get help and I am sure it will be the same for you. Keep posting: someone is always here to listen and to offer support.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Welcome - you know what? You might find that dancing round the living room to Frank Sinatra is one of the things you can both still enjoy :). Music and singing is one way I can sometimes find my old mam for a few minutes. Try it, you might be surprised!