Believing their dreams

Vicksterand

Jan 31, 2015
My mother was diagnosed about 5 years ago. Our main problem is with her having dreams or hallucinations that she totally believes are true. She is in sheltered housing and has carers visiting 3 times a day. She completely believes she has another flat that she lives in. Tonight it escalated as she thinks there is an intruder. She completely barricaded the door and would not let the carer in to give her the meds she needs. Ended up with my sister breaking through the barricade of chairs,vases tables towels etc. she was able to calm her down. Does anyone else have this and any ideas how to deal with it?

Isabella

Jan 4, 2014
My mother was diagnosed about 5 years ago. Our main problem is with her having dreams or hallucinations that she totally believes are true. She is in sheltered housing and has carers visiting 3 times a day. She completely believes she has another flat that she lives in. Tonight it escalated as she thinks there is an intruder. She completely barricaded the door and would not let the carer in to give her the meds she needs. Ended up with my sister breaking through the barricade of chairs,vases tables towels etc. she was able to calm her down. Does anyone else have this and any ideas how to deal with it?

Hi Vicky, perhaps if things have gotten worse suddenly you should ask your mother;s doctor to check her out. May be a UTI or perhaps her meds need adjusting? My mum also believed some very odd and frightening things for a while but this did not last long. Not sure if this was the result of meds she was given or just the changes of the disease over time, but if her hallucinations or delusions are causing her distress to this extent you should definitely involve her doctor, at least they could give her somehting to reduce her anxiety.

littleedie

Mar 2, 2014
Hi just read your thread, my dad has AZ and was diagnosed 12 months ago, at that time he constantly rang me all hours of the night asking me to help him to get home, he had been to football match (actually tv motd). He would go outside to find his other flat! Luckily he has door alarm and first response would find him pretty quickly as as soon as he was outside he walked to his other flat (obviously the same one). He still thinks he has two flats and can't understand how they move all the same furniture etc every night!! However he now accepts this is ok as I just say all your things are here, you are safe and you can stay in any of them it doesn't matter. He still rings me to let me know which one he is going to be in when I visit! I just go along with it, it works at the moment. It is bizarre because he has lived there 43 years, and it's not all about forgetting he can remember things quite well although not the details! I think reassuring him constantly helps (at the moment)

Daddygee

Jan 12, 2015
West Sussex
Hi Vicky.My wife has dementia and she suffered a period of terrible dreams where she thought there were intruders who were going to kill all the family.It was very difficult to calm her down,we saw her consultant urgently and he prescribed a drug which has stopped the dreams but she still thinks she is living in a house that is very similar to ours.

Last edited: