Council Tax query

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi!

Have received a letter to say I am entitled to carer's allowance due to my husband's Alzheimer's. I rung about my Council tax and was asked over the phone if I had £16,000 in savings. I know carer's allowance isn't means tested but is Council Tax?

Reds

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think the council were just querying whether you were eligible for any other means test reduction not related to AA.
Go to https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-council-tax-discount to check.

If your husband receives Attendance Allowance, assuming he has not already done so, should apply to the council for a council tax disregard because of Severe Mental Impairment (SMI), this will require a doctor to sign.

A disregard will reduce the occupancy by one so if there are only the two of you the single occupancy discount of 25% will apply.

Last edited:

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Hello Reds,
I am also in Herts and when we contacted our council (East Herts) we were not asked anything about assets so I think Nitram is correct in that they are probably only asking to see if you qualify for anything othe benefits. We had no problem getting the discounted council tax save that our GP surgery tried to make a charge ( £15) for signing the form . I took in a document I had printed off prooving we should not be charged but still had to make a formal complaint to the Practice Manager before they relented. Watch out they do not try this with you.
In contrast to the GP Practice the council was sympathetic and helpful.
Tre

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
There's also the possibility you were talking to a newly recruited staff member. Often the reason for a Council Tax discount is on the basis of income - but sometimes it's not!

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Thanks for helpful replies.

We already received a 25% deduction as husband gets disability benefit. I wondered as I now only receive Carer's allowance do I have to pay Council Tax at all?

Also is there anything else that can help carer's financially as won't be easy living on £61.35 carer's allowance?

Reds

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I know somebody who got carers allowance and the 25% council tax exemption for caring for his father even though his occupational pension which he was being paid amounted to over £30,000 a year.
Some people may say this was unreasonable but had it not been for his father I am sure he could have got another job but I don't think he would have got anything like the salary he earned before the redundancy / retirement.

William

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I know somebody who got carers allowance and the 25% council tax exemption for caring for his father even though his occupational pension which he was being paid amounted to over £30,000 a year.
Some people may say this was unreasonable but had it not been for his father I am sure he could have got another job but I don't think he would have got anything like the salary he earned before the redundancy / retirement.

William

Carers Allowance isn't means-tested, nor is council tax exemption due to severe mental impairment. Any other benefit will depend on how many savings you have. If you care for your partner, that doesn't entitle you to additional council tax reduction ( I think it would if you were just friends or father and daughter). As nitram said, organisations like Age UK can check whether you might be eligible for other benefits. Don't forget that your husband will be eligible for Attendance Allowance, lower or higher rate, depending on his needs.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
All councils are allowed to grant a means tested 'council tax reduction' there is not a national scheme, some may even take carers allowance into account.

You could be eligible if you’re on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%.

You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you get depends on:

where you live - each council runs its own scheme
your circumstances (eg income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
if your children live with you
if other adults live with you

https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction
You can enter your post code to start an enquiry/application but it's probably better to go to CAB or AgeUK as they will understand the finer details of how to apply.