Hubby is a ypwd .....!

Rubylou

Jan 20, 2015
Cambridgeshire
hello, new to all this forum stuff so not sure where this post is going to go...!
My husband was diagnosed last September with early onset of alz , just before his 60th birthday.
Would love to chat with anyone else who has similar aged person to care for to exchange tips or just support. ( I am 14 yrs younger !) in or around Cambridgeshire area would be good too.

Thanks
Rubylou

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hi Rubylou, welcome. So tough that you are both having to deal with this at such a young age. I think you will find this forum is a very useful place to get information, support and somewhere you can offload!. People are very kind and at all stages on the road. Looking forward to getting to know you!
Very best wishes
Es
x

J K N

Jan 21, 2015
chester
another new forum member

My wife (80 years old) was diagnosed with Alz., 12 months ago, first stages words mixed up and fading memory. donoprosol given 6 moths ago then changed to memantine 2 months before Christmas after she started with illusions (seing other people in the house and not recognising me at times) . She was then taken off mementine as it was thought they may be causing the problem.
Since then these illusions have got much much worse with her seing these people, ie. a young man, a young woman and thinking that I am another man with my name but not her husband. At first these came in the evening (sundowning ?) but in the last 2 weeks nearly all day. She has now started to get very very angry when they suddenly vanish and I am blamed for letting them go, to the extent that she is throwing things about the house.
At a visit last Friday to the memory clinic, they have prescribed Risperidone ( to start taking this on Monday evening) to try help with the angry feelings and the illusions. Reading some of the post on this forum there seems to be some problems with this drug.
Are illusions common with Alz. and how do others manage the problem, and do I have to worry about Risperidone

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
hello, new to all this forum stuff so not sure where this post is going to go...!
My husband was diagnosed last September with early onset of alz , just before his 60th birthday.
Would love to chat with anyone else who has similar aged person to care for to exchange tips or just support. ( I am 14 yrs younger !) in or around Cambridgeshire area would be good too.

Thanks
Rubylou

Hi Rubylou

Welcome.
My husband Rob was diagnosed at 59 and is now 65 with complex needs. I still look after him at home(needs all care). I take him to day care three days a week. Two so that I can
Work and one to catch up with friends etc. I also have both parents with memory problems, so they are needing more support from me as well while Rob is at daycare.
I often look at TP for opinions of others and find it a help. Alz is very individual, affecting people in so many different ways, what one might have ,another may not and there are similar things that we all go through at different times. Make the most of life while in the early stages if you are able to.
Accept as much help as you can and keep watching and posting.
Take care
Best wishes

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
Hi Rubylou

Welcome to TP. I am so sorry to hear about you husband and know what you are both having to deal with.

My husband was also diagnosed last September with Alzheimer's at the age of 52. It is something that always happens to someone else and it is difficult. I have found a huge amount of support on TP. There is alway someone to give advice and emotional support. I feel I know so many of them personally! So many have said not to look into the future but just to carry on with your lives and I am taking this advice. It has helped me so much. Make the most of today and do all the things you planned instead of putting them off.

Take care
Alison x

Rubylou

Jan 20, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Thanks for your replies ! It's good to know that there are people to chat to out there who kinda know what we are going through!
Gosh where to start.... So much to ask and chat about....does anyone who is caring for someone with alz have a family history of it? If so has anyone had the genetic test/counselling ?? Does anyone also have teenage children?
Thanks

Ruth

Last edited:

Rubylou

Jan 20, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Hi Rubylou

Welcome to TP. I am so sorry to hear about you husband and know what you are both having to deal with.

My husband was also diagnosed last September with Alzheimer's at the age of 52. It is something that always happens to someone else and it is difficult. I have found a huge amount of support on TP. There is alway someone to give advice and emotional support. I feel I know so many of them personally! So many have said not to look into the future but just to carry on with your lives and I am taking this advice. It has helped me so much. Make the most of today and do all the things you planned instead of putting them off.

Take care
Alison x
Hi Alison, thanks for replying! Gosh I was shocked when you said how old your husband is! So he too is a ypwd..! I hated Charlie being written down as that, I know it's just letters and words but it kinda just put him in a category. But hey that's my feeling not his and that I have had to tell myself a lot over the last few very hard months. I am sure you know kinda how it goes.
So how did things start for you? Does your husband have family history? Charlie's mum had alz as did 3 out he her other 8 siblings. It's such a horrid thing to have. I have even found myself thinking why can't he have something that can have some sort of chance of being treated!
I have spent many hours daydreaming of what is ahead and having watched his mum decline as she did, you can't help but picture how it's going to be. Very hard to just live for today when today's are often so hard and just not how you thought they would be.
Can I ask do you have children? We have 2 daughters 16 and 14 and I have a son 21. They have all been fab and have a good understanding of things. I try not to bog them down with details. My youngest has been very matter of fact and her sister an emotional wreck ...like me!

Good to hear from you
Ruth x

Take care
Alison x[/QUOTE]

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
Hi Ruth

As Alison says there are a few of us out there. My husband was diagnosed at 55, I am 16 years younger than him, so a similar age gap to you and your husband.

I always knew I might end up looking after my husband one day but never so soon, I guess i didn't' think Alzheimer's.

I am learning to live each day at a time and make the most of everything we can still do.

Please feel free to private message me if you want to chat off line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R