Cold calling charity fund raisers - phone number to stop them

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
While I was out on Saturday morning a charity fundraiser for Cancer Research came to the door and was very persistent so that my OH ended up signing away a monthly sum which he didn't really want to do but he couldn't work out how to deal with the situation. Luckily he was sufficiently aware of what he'd done he could let me know and gave me the forms.

We had a long discussion about how he might deal with this if it happened again but neither he nor I could be sure it would work.

I rang Cancer Research who took his name off their list and gave me the number of Home Fundraising who they subcontract to do the work. I phoned them and explained the situation and asked how this could be avoided in future and they said they could remove our address from the list of places to visit. I know there are probably other similar firms which I will chase down but at least it's a start.

If anyone else wants to contact them to get their addresses off the list, the number is
0800 612 2454

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
If a charity has so much money they can afford to use some of people's donations to pay outside fundraisers, then I do not contribute to that charity. It's for this reason that I cancelled my subscription to the RSPCA which goes back to the 1970's:mad:.

If I get a charity fundraiser knock at my door and try to sign me up, I tell them simply that I never give out my bank details to total strangers and then shut the door in their face.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I am a CRUK supporter as it seems to be the main problem in my family in blood relative terms both on mine and my wife's side.
Several relatives died of cancer prior to 1995.
Since then several have had treatment for cancer but we have not lost anybody.
That said there is still a long way to go with research which is time consuming and expensive . One in two now survive but this means one in two do not.
It may be argued that cures have been found for the types of cancer prevalent within our family in its present form but we still support CRUK for the benefit of other people and people who may join our family in future.

William

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
I don't have dementia and find it easy to tell people I don't deal with cold calls and make my own choices of which charities I support ;)

My OH used to be able to do this but now finds it stressful and doesn't have the mental tools to deal with this. That's why I posted because I thought other people in a similar position, or their carers, might find the telephone number useful to avoid such calls happening when the person with dementia is on their own.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you for this Sammyjo1. I too never give out my bank details on the doorstep, even though it's very difficult to say no without sounding uncharitable. I can understand how the vulnerable among us would feel intimidated.

My daughter's boyfriend was made redundant before Christmas, and was interviewed and taken on by the British Heart Foundation going door to door doing just this. He was desperate for a job so took it on. He would only be paid something if he managed to get people to sign up. He only lasted one day as he just couldn't bear asking people for money in this way.

Just a few days later, a BHF rep called at our door asking for us to sign up. He was an absolutely delightful young fella, and knowing that he wouldn't get paid unless he did get people to sign, I felt an absolute heel refusing. He was extremely gracious about it. But I told myself that even if my daughter's fiance had called at our house, I still wouldn't have signed up! I just don't do that on the doorstep.

I'm not against supporting charities, just not in this way.

Winnie10

Feb 25, 2013
A neighbour gave me a card which I attached to the front door - our door has glass in it.

The sign simply says

Uninvited callers are not welcome here.

Issued by Trading Standards.

If they knock, I ask the caller can they read, when they say yes I point to the sign, then close the door.
If they try being smart and say no. I say I will read this sign for you, then close the door.

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
While I was out on Saturday morning a charity fundraiser for Cancer Research came to the door and was very persistent so that my OH ended up signing away a monthly sum which he didn't really want to do but he couldn't work out how to deal with the situation. Luckily he was sufficiently aware of what he'd done he could let me know and gave me the forms.

We had a long discussion about how he might deal with this if it happened again but neither he nor I could be sure it would work.

I rang Cancer Research who took his name off their list and gave me the number of Home Fundraising who they subcontract to do the work. I phoned them and explained the situation and asked how this could be avoided in future and they said they could remove our address from the list of places to visit. I know there are probably other similar firms which I will chase down but at least it's a start.

If anyone else wants to contact them to get their addresses off the list, the number is
0800 612 2454

Doesn't necessarily mean they will comply (removing your address). Some can be so conniving and just say empty words to you to appease you. Might be worth making another call asking them (innocently) if your address is on the list. Would be good to know if they actually complied with your request. Do let us know.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
If a charity has so much money they can afford to use some of people's donations to pay outside fundraisers, then I do not contribute to that charity. It's for this reason that I cancelled my subscription to the RSPCA which goes back to the 1970's:mad:.

Yep, that's my view too. I've never experienced this cold-calling at the door, but I was incensed at the amount the Red Cross wasted posting unwanted mail and promotional items to me, despite repeated requests to stop, after a modest initial donation. I'm afraid one of their 'chuggers' in the town centre got both barrels when the opportunity arose....I'm afraid he looked very uncomfortable but I really didn't care by that stage :mad:

I am happy to put money in buckets anonymously but will not sign up for anything that identifies me now, I'm afraid.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think that it is easy enough for us to decide that we, who dont have dementia, dont want give to fundraisers, but I think that the original poster was worried about how people with dementia would cope with people who ask for money. This could also include fraudsters (I am not implying that charities are fraudulent) trying to con vulnerable people.

How can we protect our loved ones from financial abuse?

Mommidizzle

Mar 15, 2012
My OH signed up and gave our bank details to someone at the door from the Red Cross while i was out!! however they must have realised something was not right and voided off the form he had filled in with them.....(thank god) i have put a 'post it note' on the glass inside our door SAYING NO COLD CALLERS and a post it note inside on the front door at eye level for him saying DO NOT GIVE OUR BANK DETAILS TO ANYONE AT THE DOOR ... It seems to be working so far ...?? :)