Care costs

Billy's Girl

Oct 8, 2013
West Yorkshire
My husband is being assessed and will have to move to another care home as the current one says they can't meet his nursing needs. He can feed himself but other than that can do nothing, walk, shave, wash, dress himself and is doubly incontinent. It takes two carers to move him anywhere and he is Also prone to aggression when he is asked to do anything, I.e. Move his legs to help get him into and out of wheelchair. Is it at this point when he does not have to pay for his own care? For the first time today he was very aggressive with me, calling me awful names which ws quite upsetting.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Billys girl my heart goes out to you, what an awful time you are having, my hubby has AD l dread the time that he has to go into care, l hope you have family and good friends for support, my hubby does get aggressive if l don't agree with everything he says it is very frightening. Take care ♡♡♡

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Hello Billys girl

I think you have to remember it is the illness talking and not the person.
I have met several dementia patients and I don't know why but I have been accused of stealing money by about a dozen of them.
The relatives know it is not true. I am trying to help them save money.
One lot of relatives said that the patient had some money taken from him a few years ago by a man named William and he was of a similar build to me but they said I was definitely not that William.

I spoke to award sister while ago and she said one of the nurses seems to get accused of stealing a lot more than the others but in all cases it has been confirmed as not true.

William

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My husband is being assessed and will have to move to another care home as the current one says they can't meet his nursing needs. He can feed himself but other than that can do nothing, walk, shave, wash, dress himself and is doubly incontinent. It takes two carers to move him anywhere and he is Also prone to aggression when he is asked to do anything, I.e. Move his legs to help get him into and out of wheelchair. Is it at this point when he does not have to pay for his own care? For the first time today he was very aggressive with me, calling me awful names which ws quite upsetting.

I'm afraid the only way your Husband will be able to stop paying for his care is if he is awarded Continuing Healthcare. Has anyone from the present CH asked for a CHC checklist to be completed? Who will be involved in your OH's move? If there is a SW or CPN involved perhaps you could approach them.

I phoned the CCG to get get the ball rolling for my Husband. Mind you he had a CHC checklist when he was in Hospital (he didn't pass) but the paperwork showed that the checklist had been done on two different people.:eek:

It is so difficult to get CHC but behaviour issues do appear to be one way of POSSIBLY getting it.

Come back to the Forum if you need any help

Take care

Lyn T

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Fred's CH applied for his status to be changed from residential to nursing about 6 weeks after he moved in. Went through very emotional interview with SS/CPN's and it was finally granted about 4 months later backdated to when he went in. Am not sure if this is the same funding you talking about but you should check with SS.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Billy's Girl

Oct 8, 2013
West Yorkshire
I'm afraid the only way your Husband will be able to stop paying for his care is if he is awarded Continuing Healthcare. Has anyone from the present CH asked for a CHC checklist to be completed? Who will be involved in your OH's move? If there is a SW or CPN involved perhaps you could approach them.

I phoned the CCG to get get the ball rolling for my Husband. Mind you he had a CHC checklist when he was in Hospital (he didn't pass) but the paperwork showed that the checklist had been done on two different people.:eek:

It is so difficult to get CHC but behaviour issues do appear to be one way of POSSIBLY getting it.

Take care

Lyn T

Someone from SS has been delegated to us and she says she will help me along the way. She said a number of people will be involved in the assessment, but first we need results of a head scan following a fall last August. He has had brain bleeds, which also could be affecting his aggression. I will ask them about the funding when I speak to her this week. Thank you everyone for your helpful comments

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014

Take care

Lyn T

Lyn is correct. The problem is in my experience with some of the assessors is if they sniff money they are not keen to give CHC funding even though it is not officially means tested.
As Lyn knows the Social Worker approached me several times saying my bungalow should be sold to pay my step mother's fees.
I did make a complaint and the LA did say the ownership situation was unusual as the bungalow had been left to me on condition I let my step mother live in it until death or entering care.
The LA wrote back saying training will take place to ensure this never happened again.
I did ask if past cases were going to be looked at to see if properties had been wrongly sold. They did say all the staff on the Care Funding Contributions Teem had been interviewed and none of them remembered a similar ownership situation.
The LA also replied it would be a mammoth exercise to check through records and if there had been the records may have been destroyed combined with the fact the correct beneficiaries may not be traceable.

William