whiskery chins & pants in pockets (Spicel2014.blog find one thing to make you smile)

LauraS

Jun 25, 2014
West Sussex, UK
here's an extract from my Blog: margy's dementia Diary - find one thing to make you smile every day!) , which i hope will help other carers find something to laugh about every day and stay positive. Please enter "SpiceL2014.blog" in Google search for full blog.

Yesterday, I helped Mum prepare for her day out with carers, assisting her shower and choose appropriate clothes. Meanwhile, Mum prepared for her day out by filling her jacket pockets with soiled socks and pants from the laundry basket!

Earlier, our daughter age 10 had asked if all old ladies grow beards as Granny Margy has one? Realised it's time for de-bearding day again! Unfortunately, Mum must have been trimming stray hairs that appeared on her chin and lip with scissors for years while she was living alone, so the hairs have now grown back with a vengeance; thick, fast and frighteningly long! A small task took half an hour, as when I showed her the inch long whiskers in the mirror, she was horrified and wanted to cut them off. She wouldn't let me use wax strips and is unable to use tweezers herself, so I had the difficult task of plucking them for her. But, as each hair was pulled, she would scream like a toddler and call me a 'stinking cow' or a 'horrible swine'! I persevered, rather me be called a 'stinking cow' than Mum becoming known as the 'whiskered woman of West Sussex'!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
This is something I'm going to have to tackle with mum soon. While she's sitting in her flat, it doesn't seem so bad, but I can't let her go out so whiskery!

Anyone got any tips on how to carry out this task? I have cracked doing manicures, am on to pedicures, but could do with ideas on chins as well.....I never knew I'd need to develop beautician-style skills! :D

Lindy xx

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Hi my nanny uses an electric lady shaver she point blank refused to use one until all the ol relatives piped up and said they done the same thing lol :) so much easier and nicer didn't hurt they just once a day went over their chin to keep it soft :) it was the best thing since sliced bread hehe :D thought it might be an idea if they don't like having their chins plucked as it hurts :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
I would just use a razor and some shaving foam followed by some moisturiser, xx

Sunny7

Nov 28, 2013
West Sussex
here's an extract from my Blog: margy's dementia Diary - find one thing to make you smile every day!) , which i hope will help other carers find something to laugh about every day and stay positive. Please enter "SpiceL2014.blog" in Google search for full blog.

Earlier, our daughter age 10 had asked if all old ladies grow beards as Granny Margy has one? Realised it's time for de-bearding day again! Unfortunately, Mum must have been trimming stray hairs that appeared on her chin and lip with scissors for years while she was living alone, so the hairs have now grown back with a vengeance; thick, fast and frighteningly long! A small task took half an hour, as when I showed her the inch long whiskers in the mirror, she was horrified and wanted to cut them off. She wouldn't let me use wax strips and is unable to use tweezers herself, so I had the difficult task of plucking them for her. But, as each hair was pulled, she would scream like a toddler and call me a 'stinking cow' or a 'horrible swine'! I persevered, rather me be called a 'stinking cow' than Mum becoming known as the 'whiskered woman of West Sussex'!

Yesterday, I helped Mum prepare for her day out with carers, assisting her shower and choose appropriate clothes. Meanwhile, Mum prepared for her day out by filling her jacket pockets with soiled socks and pants from the laundry basket!

I had to laugh at the long whiskers .. my mother has those too! One in particular that is growing about 5 of the little devils out of one spot!!! Until recently she has only had random odd singular whiskers growing and I have given her a shave when I used to bath her so not sure what this has stemmed from. My granddaughter saw her granny on the commode the other day and was fascinated by all this (she is 6) and said to me "Grandma why does Granny have jiggly skin?!" I keep reminding myself of that and smiling heartily away!

Can I ask about carers comment you make .. I am in West Sussex also and at present mum does not attend any clubs or day centres... I would love to find somewhere where she could have a bath or shower as she can't get upstairs any longer and so I am only able to give her a wash from a bowl. I did register with them 8 years ago when mum came to live with me. Age Uk run a club near here but its so pricey at £80 a session .. we simply can't afford it.

(Moderator note: please use the PM system if you wish to recommend or request details about any care company)

Last edited by a moderator:

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I use the hair removal cream for sensitive skin for the face, I was tentative to start with in case mum had an allergic reaction but she didn't. (she used to use it on her legs so I reckoned i was probably safe with it) I was told on this site that this was the wrong thing to do, as was shaving and tweezering in case they caused trauma, but I ignored it and did it anyway. The only approved way when I asked was to use scissors and cut the hairs close.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
What a wonderful facility that looks like.

There is even a piccie of them doing 'Tache' waxing, I would have loved a service like that for my Mum.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thank you all for your ideas :)

Think I'll try the tweezer method for preference, and if too painful, will go for the shave. I think mum's hair is too thick for hair removal cream :(

Now all I've got to do is persuade her it needs doing....! :rolleyes:

Thanks again xx

Emomam

Nov 13, 2014
Yorkshire
I use one of those little eyebrow wands. Great for shaving those stray hairs and mum giggles when I use it as she says it tickles.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I use one of those little eyebrow wands. Great for shaving those stray hairs and mum giggles when I use it as she says it tickles.

Sounds good :) Never seen one of these before so think I need to browse the local chemist! :cool:

Thanks Emomam x

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
Retired cosmetologist here (skin care a top area/favourite!)

*Shaving (using razor and gel type) will indeed cause hair to grow back thicker, more whisker-like
*If whiskers are still on the soft and sparse side, I would suggest using the little eyebrow shavers (they do not scrape the top epidermis, thus don't rough up the follicle to cause thickening of hair.
*Use extreme care when using hair removal creams. Remember with Dementia it can be difficult to understand what's happening. It's very easy to get caustic cream on the chin into the eyes.
*Tweezing is painful, as we all know. Care should be taken if your loved-one is highly sensitive or anxious.

Hands down my favourite method for getting rid of whiskers for women who have Dementia would be using one of those little batter powered eyebrow shavers.
1. They are small
2. They are quiet
3. They are painless

x

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
whiskery chins & pants in pockets (Spicel2014.blog find one thing to make yo...

Benrese;1047350 Hands down my favourite method for getting rid of whiskers for women who have Dementia would be using one of those little batter powered eyebrow shavers. 1. They are small 2. They are quiet 3. They are painless x[/QUOTE said:
Just got one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009B42NRY/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1421424488&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

Edited: hmmm just read the reviews... Some good a lot of bad ones.... I will let you know when it arrives what I think

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

Jess1982

Nov 9, 2014
Hi

I am a beauty therapist and I would say that waxing on elderly skin can be problematic due to the skin getting so thin.
It pulls more and can even tear - ouch!

I would use tweezers, hair removal cream or shave as others have suggested.

Hope someone's taking care of my facial hair if I get it at that stage of my life!