Bad night

EleanorRoss

Dec 14, 2014
Last night my mum and I were in quite a serious car accident. Thankfully no one was severely injured but I am still in shock. After we came home, we told dad about what had happened and he was very agitated. But he instantly forgot about the whole thing shortly afterwards. We started discussing the whole incident later that night and he asked was he in the car when it happened. It just makes me so sad that my dad was so incapable when I needed him most.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi ER
He is there for you as far as he can be which is short term, when you first told him he was no doubt very concerned, but the disease stole it away from him. The Dad's and daughter relationship can sometime be very close, I think the world of my daughter (later this year to become Doctor LK if it all goes well) and I'd hate the thought I couldn't be there when she needed me most, as you do now.
K

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Eleanor it is very sad that your Dad has lost all empathy but sadly this is one of the resulting changes in behaviour that dementia causes. Your Dad has not made himself incapable of being there for you, he would, if he could. Dementia robs from everyone it is such a cruel disease.

I hope you and your Mum are feeling ok this morning.

EleanorRoss

Dec 14, 2014
Hi ER
He is there for you as far as he can be which is short term, when you first told him he was no doubt very concerned, but the disease stole it away from him. The Dad's and daughter relationship can sometime be very close, I think the world of my daughter (later this year to become Doctor LK if it all goes well) and I'd hate the thought I couldn't be there when she needed me most, as you do now.
K

Thank you Kevin for your support. I just wish my dad was able to support me like you can support your daughter. If I asked him what I want to do in uni next year he wouldn't even know. Life can be so unfair.

Eleanor

EleanorRoss

Dec 14, 2014
Eleanor it is very sad that your Dad has lost all empathy but sadly this is one of the resulting changes in behaviour that dementia causes. Your Dad has not made himself incapable of being there for you, he would, if he could. Dementia robs from everyone it is such a cruel disease.

I hope you and your Mum are feeling ok this morning.

Thank you jaymor. Yes me and my mum are getting there. Life is quite hard as it is, its just a pity that this accident had to happen too. I try to believe that everything happens for a reason but on days like this its hard.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hi ER - good to know that you and mum are getting there - and you are right, life is really unfair. Dementia is robbing us of so much that is precious to us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Norcliffe