help with what day it is.. bracelet?

spuddle

Mar 13, 2014
Hi, im looking for advice on products to help mum to know what day it is. so far we have bought 3 digital style clocks and a wall clock (which she hates and hides it in alcove). to find out what day it is she looks at the daily newspaper.... great if she picks up todays, not so good if she picks up yesterdays.
ive been trawling the internet looking for perhaps a bracelet with the day on. ive found watches, some speak the day and time on a button press but mam wont wear another watch as she likes the one she wears.
anyone got any ideas or info about such a product. i feel sure there must be something like this available.
thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Does it really matter if she does not know what day it is?

Even if she identifies the day correctly she may well have forgotten the correct day in a short while.

spuddle

Mar 13, 2014
thats a good point nitram. i hadnt really thought of it like that. anything she has to do on a particular day is on my calander and i either remind her or am with her.
she continually asks what day it is, and as you say she doesnt remember a minute later.

Pumpkin12

Oct 16, 2014
Hi you could always put up a white board for her with different information on and it's easy to wipe clean and start again we use one for grandad :) hope this helps :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My husband asks over 60 times a day what day is it, no matter how many times I tell him he doesn't remember, he has it on the bottom of his computer he still doesn't remember, it is surprising how many people with dementia do this, I tell him it doesn't matter and I will keep him right but he still asks I don't know a answer to this,I don't think a reminder would help, but you know your mum best so do you think it would work,

I have tried writing it down for him and when he reads it he says is that today oh it;s Thursday I thought it was Tuesday so doesn't help.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband asks over 60 times a day what day is it, no matter how many times I tell him he doesn't remember, he has it on the bottom of his computer he still doesn't remember, it is surprising how many people with dementia do this, I tell him it doesn't matter and I will keep him right but he still asks I don't know a answer to this,I don't think a reminder would help, but you know your mum best so do you think it would work,

I have tried writing it down for him and when he reads it he says is that today oh it;s Thursday I thought it was Tuesday so doesn't help.

This all so common. My husband has more Sunday mornings and Friday nights than ever existed on a calendar. They seem to be the ones which come to mind if anyone asks him.

rosa4077

Jun 22, 2013
scotland
Hi Spuddle
does the day, date matter any more . even I think not ,dementia sufferers including my 96 yr old mother do not know the difference any more. I used to believe it was really important for people like your mum and mine to know the day and date , however it just leads to confusion with them , They live in their own dementia related world which we as logical people cannot enter and we cannot apply logic as we see it , it is not understood ( or perhaps we do not understand)that even now our logic will not mke any sense to them just go dayto dayand tell love lies where need be because they will have no memory ( sad but true )
Big hugs on your dementia adventure
ROSA
xx

jen54

May 20, 2014
:( not sure there is a way,or if its really needed - we are ringing or visiting so often we tell her what day it is while there and remember all things that need to be remembered time/day wise for her ie bills/appointments
it was mum's birthday yesterday, sister went up day before and took a card and chocs etc, mum had no idea what day it was-or that her birthday was the next day- card opened- chocs etc given -mum had forgotten what day it was and why she had chocolates by the time they had had put kettle on 15 minutes later, I went yesterday..card, presies etc, she didnt have clue of the day, or that it was her birthday and although we talked about it and what day it was repeatedly, she still didn't register it- she too sees what day it is by looking at the paper, but it depends on what paper she picks up as to what day she thinks it is at that time. she always has a TV mag for the week, and used to turn it to the day-but this has fallen by the wayside recently, but in the scheme of things..she says all days are the same to her, and she eats when she is hungry, goes to bed when tired?? there is nothing that seems to work for more than the few minutes, she has the clock under the TV and the TV guide on screen- but if she does realise what time or day etc it is it is only transient - and I suppose it is pointless to keep needing to know the day and time so many times a day, mum would have to be told clearly every 15 minutes or so

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It's not that it matters what day it is but that knowing what day it is alleviates confusion so we have acquired a Dementia Day Clock that gives you the day and time frame (morning, afternoon, evening, night). So right now it would be saying "Now it's Thursday afternoon". It's tamperproof and looks quite swish but costs around the £70 mark.

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
I also bought the Day clock - we have had it for a couple of years now & would not be without it.
I find it invaluable so as 'What day is it' is no longer one of the million of repeated questions my husband asks daily.
I have put it on a shelf directly in my husband's eyeline across the room from his chair.
Although it is relatively expensive, I bought it from a website where no VAT was payable because of my husband's dementia.
When it is no longer required, it can be used as a digital photo frame.
I think it is another tool that enables people with memory problems to still be as independent as possible.

JTSA

Jan 29, 2011
Knowing the date and time (I have VaD)

It is a great loss to my humanity that I can not longer orient to date and time. It seems a small thing, but inside me, really, it hurts... until the next hurty loss. This condition not only makes others treat us as morons, literally, but also I do it myself. "Frustration" is the tip of the iceberg loss. Those of us still here live is a constant state of grieving.

Eleonora

Dec 21, 2012
Abingdon Oxfordshire
I have just bought my OH a talking Dementia watch for Christmas. I'm hoping that he will still be able to press a button on the case, and a clear, male, English voice, (there is a choice of voices.) will announce the time and date. The process is radio controlled, and makes adjustment for British Summer time automatically.
It has been designed in association with RNIB. I expect that Googling 'talking watches' will turn up many similar ones.

The watch has a largish clear face, with normal numbers, and there is an option of metal bracelet or strap. Cost forty-one pounds.
I can't recommend it, because I haven't given it to my OH yet. But I live in hope that it will end the constant demand for date, day and time.:D

awbeccles

Mar 12, 2011
Suffolk
I can't see that knowing the day and date is important unless the person feels a need to know it. We tend to be over-obsessed with time. Unless you have to go to work or catch a plane it doesn't matter that much.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That's not the point. The point is the disorientation the not knowing creates. Why else would a lot of people with dementia ask what day it is all the time? My OH constantly checks the clock for the time then announces it loudly.

molobezi

Apr 10, 2012
dementia clock

A few years ago I bought a clock/day/date clock for the Hall which sits beside the house Diary. My husband uses it every day to find the time and it is very useful, n that I now don't get the repeated questions as to what day etc. It is battery driven and about 24ins long
Hi, im looking for advice on products to help mum to know what day it is. so far we have bought 3 digital style clocks and a wall clock (which she hates and hides it in alcove). to find out what day it is she looks at the daily newspaper.... great if she picks up todays, not so good if she picks up yesterdays.
ive been trawling the internet looking for perhaps a bracelet with the day on. ive found watches, some speak the day and time on a button press but mam wont wear another watch as she likes the one she wears.
anyone got any ideas or info about such a product. i feel sure there must be something like this available.
thanks

Ritch01

Jan 16, 2014
I use a whiteboard for my mother and write the day in red. Red is one of the last colours that Dementia sufferers loose. I used to just wipe the first part off and leave "day" then just add Mon Tues etc....one day I wiped the first part off got distracted with something else. About an hour later my mother looked at the whiteboard ..which just had "day" on it. She turned to me and said its noday!!!! Bless her.

JTSA

Jan 29, 2011
What would make me with VaD happy?

I have come across your problems when trying to help my dad who was 89 at the time. He was permanently sad, but I thought it was because my mum had died 4 years before. They had been married for 61 years. Could I have done anything to make him happy? I did really try but nothing worked. In your experience would it be his dementia, his lingering grief or perhaps both? It is my one regret that his last 3 years were unhappy ones. In your life can you feel happiness some times? Can anyone do anything at all to give you happiness?

I respond to kindness. I love hugs, hand-holding, and "I love yous". I can be taken from the pain through affection. It distracts me from losses. Smother us with love, kill us with kindness, love us to death. When it is sincere, it does break through that sense of futility. And thank you for asking,

Fierdashleo

Oct 19, 2014
Isle of Wight
Apps for time of day

There are several good and very cheap apps for tablet or phone screen savers that show date, day and time of day like 'Thurday afternoon'. They run at between 69p and £1.50. Google 'time of day clock'.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
There are several good and very cheap apps for tablet or phone screen savers that show date, day and time of day like 'Thurday afternoon'. They run at between 69p and £1.50. Google 'time of day clock'.

This is fine if someone can use a smartphone but even using a ordinary phone is impossible for a lot of people with dementia,

edwardbs

Jul 30, 2014
Lichfield Staffs
feeling lost witout a date

It is a great loss to my humanity that I can not longer orient to date and time. It seems a small thing, but inside me, really, it hurts... until the next hurty loss. This condition not only makes others treat us as morons, literally, but also I do it myself. "Frustration" is the tip of the iceberg loss. Those of us still here live is a constant state of grieving.

i feel lost to say the least without a date to call the day is today wednesday or not?
What should i be doing it is a feeling of your brain slowly disolving and which bit will go next and why cant i spell any more?and i am only 61 what waits for me in 20 years time. we feel we MUST HANG ON TO SOMETHING you all seem to be talking about those a generation older than me it scares me we forget what we are holding but we must hold on so we ask again and again worse i know i just looked at the timeand the day. but i still know i will forget and will do it again and i should still be at work. at some level how much is known by suffers and how much are they standing outside thenselves watching unaple to stop it.no wonder they are sad

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew 132