Sleeping in chair, now cannot raise head

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
My poor Mum, its just one thing after another.
Due to several factors Mum has had to sleep in a chair at her new nursing home. Her head is presumably slumped forward while sleeping and now she cannot look up when she is standing or walking, so just looks at her own feet. The staff don't really seem to know she has not always been like that and maybe think there is nothing that can be done anyway as her frailty is increasing rapidly with lack of proper sleep and the stress of moving to the home.She has been put on oramorph patches for behaviour which hopefully also helps with pain in her neck if she is experiencing this as well. I try to get her to bed for a rest when I am there as her feet are also swollen, but her poor head and neck worries me. She can't really recognise me now as she cant even look up to see me. Does anyone know if this is likely to be permanent or if anything could be done. Is it likely to improve if she could sleep in a bed or get some sort of treatment, or is it all just a waste of time even worrying about it?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My poor Mum, its just one thing after another.
Due to several factors Mum has had to sleep in a chair at her new nursing home. Her head is presumably slumped forward while sleeping and now she cannot look up when she is standing or walking, so just looks at her own feet. The staff don't really seem to know she has not always been like that and maybe think there is nothing that can be done anyway as her frailty is increasing rapidly with lack of proper sleep and the stress of moving to the home.She has been put on oramorph patches for behaviour which hopefully also helps with pain in her neck if she is experiencing this as well. I try to get her to bed for a rest when I am there as her feet are also swollen, but her poor head and neck worries me. She can't really recognise me now as she cant even look up to see me. Does anyone know if this is likely to be permanent or if anything could be done. Is it likely to improve if she could sleep in a bed or get some sort of treatment, or is it all just a waste of time even worrying about it?

Hi Karjo

I'm sorry I can't answer your question regarding the meds etc. but I am concerned that she is not sleeping in bed. Are the Carers not attempting to put your Mum to bed? Even at night? My Husband is moved to a chair for a few hours everyday and then given bed rest.He always looks much more comfortable in bed.

IMO all treatment should be considered and, as you are obviously worried, I would consult with the NH Manager.

Good luck

Lyn T

memaggie2

Nov 9, 2014
scotland
I would be most concerned that she is not going to bed , her neck will be stiff if she has been in that position in a chair all night . regular massage and the use of a pain relieving gel should help given time but mainly she needs to be in bed at night.

i can think of a number of possible reasons why she is spending the night in a chair but this really sounds like poor care

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
She has been put on oramorph patches for behaviour which hopefully also helps with pain in her neck if she is experiencing this as well. I try to get her to bed for a rest when I am there as her feet are also swollen, but her poor head and neck worries me. She can't really recognise me now as she cant even look up to see me. Does anyone know if this is likely to be permanent or if anything could be done. Is it likely to improve if she could sleep in a bed or get some sort of treatment, or is it all just a waste of time even worrying about it?

I am not medically trained but this sprang out at me. Is she on that for pain and something else for behaviour? You mention in previous posts that she was sectioned. Is she on additional medication that would cause her head to downturn.

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
I am not medically trained but this sprang out at me. Is she on that for pain and something else for behaviour? You mention in previous posts that she was sectioned. Is she on additional medication that would cause her head to downturn.

yes Onlyme you are correct. it appears that it could be the effect of long term use of antipsychotics that can cause this so I fear it may be permanent. And yes she was receiving care under section 117 aftercare having been sectioned.
I am seeking legal advice on what has happened to my poor old Mum so do not feel I can post regarding the reasons as to why she is sleeping in a chair.
Suffice to say there will always be battles over funding between those who have the power to approve it , and Mum has fallen through the gaps in care once again while the quarrels take place. A sad victim yet but Mum has a slight reprieve in that a suitable bed has been made available. Whether she slept in it last night I don't yet know, especially as she may not physically be able to let along mentally. The funding battles continue. Mum is not the only one who needs a good nights sleep, I am so so tired of this all.