Help. Toilet problems

Briege

Apr 10, 2024
My OH has started peeing everywhere. I've put red buckets in all the rooms he goes to and puppy pads too but even if I bring him to the bathroom he doesn't recognise the toilet. He has a disabled toilet with frame and I know it's because everything is white, toilet, tiles, floor is off white too. So I've a bucket in the bathrooms too. I can't use a raised seat attached to the toilet as he needs the support of the frame. Does anyone know if it would help if I put red tape round the frame or should I try to get a coloured framed toilet. The raised seats seem to be easy enough to get but coloured frame toilets much harder.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Briege

You can apply for an assessment by an OT [Occupational Therapist] They will be able to recommend anything to help.

They are not just for physical exercises as most people seem to think but are able to make life easier for people with special needs by providing special appliances.

The OT will probably refer you to NRS Healthcare

Last edited:

Briege

Apr 10, 2024
Hello @Briege

You can apply for an assessment by an OT [Occupational Therapist] They will be able to recommend anything to help.

They are not just for physical exercises as most people seem to think but are able to make life easier for people with special needs by providing special appliances.
Thanks. Never thought of that. I'll give them a ring today

LewyDementiaCarer

Mar 5, 2024
My OH has started peeing everywhere. I've put red buckets in all the rooms he goes to and puppy pads too but even if I bring him to the bathroom he doesn't recognise the toilet. He has a disabled toilet with frame and I know it's because everything is white, toilet, tiles, floor is off white too. So I've a bucket in the bathrooms too. I can't use a raised seat attached to the toilet as he needs the support of the frame. Does anyone know if it would help if I put red tape round the frame or should I try to get a coloured framed toilet. The raised seats seem to be easy enough to get but coloured frame toilets much harder.
You can try but honestly speaking it sounds like it may be time for pull-ups/adult diapers and encourage him to just let it go and get into a routine of changing him regularly. If he can't recognize the toilet, chances are he is also starting to struggle cleaning himself properly too, so will likely need assistance or actually need you/carers to be changing him, if not now then very soon.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
This might be worth trying, take him to the loo every 2 hours, and just before meals.
Overnight use Pull-ups etc.

Bod

Briege

Apr 10, 2024
Thanks for the replys. Brought him to the loo, pointed out the toilet, he gave off and said he was ok and just wanted to stand there so I left him there. When he came out he had peed in the bucket again. Phoned social worker and they are arranging for someone to come out to assess what all he needs and more support for me. Well hopefully more support.

Alex2266

Apr 6, 2022
Hi Briege, I had the same problem with my father. I mentioned it to his doctor, and she increased his meds for an overacting bladder. So he spends less time in the bathroom. Also, I have a big red sign that reads in front of the bathroom door. "Toilet". Also inside his bathroom, I have two red signs that read "Wash Hands." - I make sure he goes to the toilet before his nap and at night before he goes to sleep. Thank God it is working for me. My father is in his 80's. My advice: Try different ways to ease his trips to the bathroom; also, discuss it with his doctor; there are always ways they can help you with that.

Briege

Apr 10, 2024
Hi Briege, I had the same problem with my father. I mentioned it to his doctor, and she increased his meds for an overacting bladder. So he spends less time in the bathroom. Also, I have a big red sign that reads in front of the bathroom door. "Toilet". Also inside his bathroom, I have two red signs that read "Wash Hands." - I make sure he goes to the toilet before his nap and at night before he goes to sleep. Thank God it is working for me. My father is in his 80's. My advice: Try different ways to ease his trips to the bathroom; also, discuss it with his doctor; there are always ways they can help you with that.
Thanks, I hadn't thought to tell his doctor about it. I put up one of the big red toilet signs but don't think he's even noticed it. The bright red toilet seat has helped a bit though