Can i move into mums?

Traceysgirl14

Jan 19, 2024
My mum has gone into a care home, she is self funded. Her house is currently empty, which is bought and paid for. As the house is empty, mum has said if myself and my partner want to move in, we can. I'm 55, my partner has disabilities and we currently live in a housing association flat, which is not suitable due to partners disabilities. I have both P.O.A's for mum as she has dementia.
If we move in to her house, will we be forced out if her savings run out ?
Thank you :)

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Traceysgirl14 It is likely that when your mum is no longer self funding that social services would expect the house to be sold to cover her care home costs, so yes, if you move in you could then find yourself having to move out again.

It might be an idea to discuss this with social services before you do anything. There are certain instances when social services will disregard a property but I do not think that this is one of those.

Have you spoken to the housing association to see if they have any more suitable accommodation for your partner.

dq79

Oct 23, 2022
My mum has gone into a care home, she is self funded. Her house is currently empty, which is bought and paid for. As the house is empty, mum has said if myself and my partner want to move in, we can. I'm 55, my partner has disabilities and we currently live in a housing association flat, which is not suitable due to partners disabilities. I have both P.O.A's for mum as she has dementia.
If we move in to her house, will we be forced out if her savings run out ?
Thank you :)
Hi, I'd agree with SeaSwallow's post in taking advice from social care but also possibly some financial or legal advice too as POA. You may need to look out for yourself as well as your mum's best interests. As attorney will there be any 'rent' paid or financial contribution for the use of the property? What would happen if your mum wanted to return back to live in the property and you and your partner are still living in it, would that be viable, would you and your partner want that, how would mum feel about living with you? I know that's question overload so are just thoughts ;) I think that POAs may not necessarily be able to benefit financially, even if perhaps it's ok with your mum now she may not recall that in future, which could leave you in a sticky position. Or it could possibly be viewed as deprivation of capital - if you rented the house on the market it could be generating further income to help sustain mum's ability to self fund care. How long will your mum's funds sustain self funding?

Last edited:

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hello

Dont our crazy systems make life more complicated when there’s a simple solution?

In terms of having POA you will need to pay a market rental rate to your mum as we are not allowed to benefit financially from having them.

I personally would contact a solicitor or someone who knows about these issues prior to contacting SS. I think once you contact SS a bag of worms is opened and also lots of incompetence so I would be seeking sound advice first.

How long also before her capital runs out may also influence your decision.