Books!!

JAYBEN

Jun 12, 2023
West Yorkshire
I have just finished reading Dancing with Elephants by Jarem Sawatsky. I haven't read a book in years , as I usually listen to audible books now, but this book actually kept me interested. The author tells of how mindfulness and learning to celebrate life has helped him and his family in his own journey with an incurable disease - Huntington's, but this book is for anyone dealing with chronic illness, Alzheimer's or an aging brain. How to deal with " the elephant in the room " and how to learn to dance with elephants , as in the title . I purchased a very cheap copy from one of the book stores on Ebay and although I struggled with some bits , overall it was worth the read . My husband has mild vascular dementia and this book gave me a little insight to how to try and live with dementia and also how to try and deal with my own chronic illness at the same time.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
The author tells of how mindfulness and learning to celebrate life has helped him and his family in his own journey with an incurable disease - Huntington's, but this book is for anyone dealing with chronic illness, Alzheimer's or an aging brain.
Thank you for this. I've just ordered it. I've been meaning to learn more about mindfulness in any case so this recommendation gave me a nudge. I hope I appreciate it as much as you have. All the best to you and your husband.

JAYBEN

Jun 12, 2023
West Yorkshire
Thank you for this. I've just ordered it. I've been meaning to learn more about mindfulness in any case so this recommendation gave me a nudge. I hope I appreciate it as much as you have. All the best to you and your husband.
Hi @Tricot , I hope you enjoy it , well ...I suppose that's the wrong word to use really , rather that you are able to get something from it . It's not your normal mindfulness book , more of how to smile through adversity. If you are looking into stress relieving try Paul McKenna's Positivity , I got that from Audible and found it very helpful if you can find a spare half hour to relax .

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
If you’re looking for just stress release I highly recommend Terry Pritchett, always worth a giggle and a re read.
I was talking to my neighbour about books and the fact that I'm out of the habit of reading. I also said I'd never been into fantasy books, like he is, where it's necessary to suspend disbelief. But maybe now I would like to immerse myself in another world. So my neighbour has suggested starting with Terry Pratchett's first book, 'The Colour of Magic' which he's digging out for me.

AnnaWatts

Oct 12, 2023
Hi Neese! I completely understand your preference for easier-to-read books. If you're looking for a more accessible read on Alzheimer's, I recommend "The 36-Hour Day" by Nancy L. Mace and Peter V. Rabins. It's written in a straightforward manner and offers practical insights. Hope you find it helpful!

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
As long as you have that same sense of humour, don’t think you can beat Terry Pratchett for a good light hearted , but very insightful read. Plus another point in his favour as far as I’m concerned he had Alzheimer’s (posterior cortical atrophy, same as my hubby), and he fought to the end for the cause of those suffering with this awful disease. Read on, and enjoy your giggle.