+ Post a comment
Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Memories

One of Lionel's friends visited him on Saturday. They have known each other 50 years, and have always had fairly regular contact.

He brought with him a DVD of old cine footage of a holiday that Lionel had with three friends when they were 19, some 45 years ago. Lionel could not focus on the TV screen, so I don't think he had any idea of what was going on, but gradually he seemed somehow to pick up on the happy atmosphere in his room.

I have sat a watched that footage again today (on my own) and I bless his friend for giving me these memories of Lionel, even though I did not meet him until 35 years later. Very bittersweet, he was so young, and carefree then.

Some people are so thoughtful. Makes a change from those who say "I would rather not visit, just remember him as he was". I do wish people would not try to justify themselves. Sorry, must stop rambling. God bless,
    Connie

Carer and Volunteer Moderator

"Today is as good as it gets" - Lionel, upon diagnosis 2002

Connie, what a lovely present. In fact, two lovely presents. The fact that Lionel's old friend bothers to keep in touch, and give Lionel some extra stimulus, and the DVD of Lionel's youth.

It's lovely surprises like this that brighten our day.

Love,

Hazel
    Carer

Don't grieve for what you have lost, rejoice for what you have had.

Dear Connie,
    I always follow your posts on Lionel. Can imagine seeing the footage was bittersweet, but how nice that the friend keeps in touch and provided some additional happiness for both of you. Seems like Lionel knew someone familiar and close was there. Nice for the two of you.
    Love and hugs,
    Tina

Dear Connie, now you have a permanent treasure. I hope it gives you hours of pleasure.

Sylvia

Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator .

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Posting this picture tonight. Hopefully his new chair arrives tomorrow. Then we may see a 'new' Lionel
    Attached Images  
    Connie

Dear Connie, I can`t wait to see the new chair. I hope it lives up to expectations.

With love

Sylvia

About me

New chair arrived this morning. Very akward for the girls to manhandle Lionel into same, but he looks so much more comfortable. Very expensive, but will be worth every penny if it makes him settled. I shall be interested tomorrow when I visit as too how the carers have managed with it. Still, its on wheels, so I can take him into the gardens.
    Attached Images  
    Connie

Connie, that looks so much more comfortable for Lionel. Let's hope the staff get used to it.

Love,

Hazel
    Carer

Don't grieve for what you have lost, rejoice for what you have had.

Blog Entries
    Hi connie

great news! The chair looks similar, though not the same, as Jans, which has proved such a boon.

After 3 years I paid for new covers for hers as the others became very worn. I negotiated with the manager of the home and they agreed to pay part of the cost of the chair originally, on the basis that they can keep it when Jan no longer needs it. Every bit helps...

I do hope Lionel's chair works for you both.
    Bruce

I'm still a Carer.

"I don't suppose I'll see you much more. We had lovely times. I love you very much." Jan's words, October 2000

"You'll take care of my daughter, won't you?" an ailing mother's words, 2013

"I always thought you were thick" an ailing mother's words to me, 2013. How right you are….

Connie,
    Lionel looks really nice and comfy in his new chair! Great that it has wheels so you can wheel him about a bit as well.
    Hugs,
    Tina

Connie, just that little tilt backmakes so much difference. I can`t see Lionel sliding down that chair. You must be pleased.

Sylvia

About me

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Connie,

What a difference a day/chair makes! I hope the chair improves life for you and Lionel.

Sue xx

Connie

What an improvement on the earlier chair - I'm sure it will help his circulation to have his feet up, and reclining is more comfy for nodding off, which it looks like he does a lot of. Looks like a vinyl which is great for spills/accidents. How much do these things run, dare I ask?

Is that a sexy shot of you in a tank top, on the windowsill? Quite distracting...

Anne

Is that chair powered Connie? And he doesn't try to get out of it on his own? I had something similar for my mother, but it was pointless: she simply could not remember to either use the controls or ask someone to help her, with the result that she would attempt to get out on her own and you can imagine the consequences of that.

Jennifer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annesharlie
    How much do these things run, dare I ask
    I don't know if things have changed, or what the price would be for Lionel's chair, but Jan's was around £1,800. At the time I posted details at:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talking...read.php?t=239

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferpa
    Is that chair powered Connie
    it looks like some that are owned by other residents at Jan's home and, like hers, it is not powered.

The chair does have a pneumatic tilting mechanism so the staff can tilt it forward so it is easier to get the person out. There is a variety of covers - Jan's has an easily washable cover for the chair itself with an easy breathe/easy clean fabric for the places where her body touches. There is an extending leg section that tilts independently.

Jan has a waist strap on hers otherwise she might fall out.

since we bought one for Jan, many other residents have also had the same thing because it is so effective at a certain stage of the dementia.

The chair is not intended to be used by the person as a means of movement, so it is not a fancy wheelchair - it is a safe and manoeuvrable armchair.
    Bruce

I'm still a Carer.

"I don't suppose I'll see you much more. We had lovely times. I love you very much." Jan's words, October 2000

"You'll take care of my daughter, won't you?" an ailing mother's words, 2013

"I always thought you were thick" an ailing mother's words to me, 2013. How right you are….