Quickly declining

So if you have read any of my other posts you will know that my fil has moved in. The early mornings at first left me exhausted. But they seem to have slowed to almost stopping, now it's going to bed late around 11.30-12.00 pm and sleeping till around 6.00 am. We have repeatedly showed him how to turn the telly on and it's finally stuck, so at least we get around an extra hour in bed of a morning, the kitchen has been safety proofed and we Re getting into a good routine. What is now worrying me is the rate of the decline stage 6 I feel is arriving quicker than anyone originally thought. Yesterday was a really bad day, last night even worse, every ten minutes he would come into our bedroom and sit with my partner watching him play on his playstation 3 for a few seconds say something strange then go back into his room, only to repeat the process ten minutes later. Then this morning after just half an hour of sleep he came into our room and shouted out are we getting up went downstairs and put the telly on, what gets to me about the whole thing though is when I went downstairs twenty minutes after this happened he didn't remember a thing. I'm really worried that he is going to go downhill so quickly that he won't be able to enjoy the time before this happens. We want him to have as much time with family as possible, but that time seems to be going past so quickly. He's been living with us for a week but watching it happen this quick is like seeing months happen in just seven days. I hate seeing it and wish there was something I could do to slow it down or even stop all together. My fil doesn't deserve this just like every other person who has this horrible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCatherine83 View Post
    So if you have read any of my other posts you will know that my fil has moved in. The early mornings at first left me exhausted. But they seem to have slowed to almost stopping, now it's going to bed late around 11.30-12.00 pm and sleeping till around 6.00 am. We have repeatedly showed him how to turn the telly on and it's finally stuck, so at least we get around an extra hour in bed of a morning, the kitchen has been safety proofed and we Re getting into a good routine. What is now worrying me is the rate of the decline stage 6 I feel is arriving quicker than anyone originally thought. Yesterday was a really bad day, last night even worse, every ten minutes he would come into our bedroom and sit with my partner watching him play on his playstation 3 for a few seconds say something strange then go back into his room, only to repeat the process ten minutes later. Then this morning after just half an hour of sleep he came into our room and shouted out are we getting up went downstairs and put the telly on, what gets to me about the whole thing though is when I went downstairs twenty minutes after this happened he didn't remember a thing. I'm really worried that he is going to go downhill so quickly that he won't be able to enjoy the time before this happens. We want him to have as much time with family as possible, but that time seems to be going past so quickly. He's been living with us for a week but watching it happen this quick is like seeing months happen in just seven days. I hate seeing it and wish there was something I could do to slow it down or even stop all together. My fil doesn't deserve this just like every other person who has this horrible thing.
    From what I can see ,he's desperately trying to fit in with his new life, better than I could .
    Vascular dementia and Alzheimer's survivor........up to now !

Blog Entries
    Everything I have heard says that a change of routine can cause a sharp decline in functioning, because eveything they know is now different and the confusion can go off the charts. I noticed this with my mother 4 years ago when she moved into her current apartment, and she was at a mild stage of AD at that point. It took longer than a month for things to settle down.
    Now I'm dreading our imminent next move. She is now progressed much further and I fear the sharp decline could be permanent. She is unable to learn new things now, so it would be very hard to learn a new routine and environment I fear.
    It sounds like you FIL is following this same pattern of a decline with a new place to live. Hopefully he will settle and come back to his previous level of functioning soon.

Hi MaryCatherine,
    I agree it's a blip because he's had such an upheaval and will probably settle down after some time. He may return to the state he was before moving or perhaps some things won't come back, sadly it's a guessing game.

Dad has had all sorts of similar behaviours that may make someone think it's a sharp decline but these next stages can last for longer than you think.

I hope he settles for you and you get yourselves into a good routine that will give him some security. And don't forget to take care of yourself, caring is a rigorous task, a marathon which can require you to pace yourself, but there are some lovely rewards along the way. I have precious memories of showering Dad that will forever be in my heart.

Stephanie, xxx
    Last edited by lilysmybabypup; 05-07-2013 at 06:42 AM.
    You've got to laugh, or else you'd cry

Hi Marycatherine
    I am sorry you are struggling so much. I agree with other posts that it is probably a change of enviroment and your Father in law is struggling to adjust. If he has only been with you for a week hopefully he will settle dowm. My Mums confusion increases when she is in a new enviroment.
    It must be a big adjustment for all of you. How lovely that he is able to move in with you though. I do hope he settles and you all enjoy spending family time together.
    You are right. Dementia is horrible and no one deserves to have this awful disease.
    Dee x