Blog Entries

question about movicol

Poo again!!!

Just started oh on this. he has periodic breakthrough diorrhea. Like this am. Should I carry on giving it to him? Will take ages to get hold of the district nurses so if anyone knows will be grateful

my daughter has a bowel condition and she only ever took a laxative till it worked then stopped till she needed it again,if your not careful the body becomes used to them and then in my daughters case nothing works,she has nids by the way and not that we gave her laxatives as a child for the fun of it.

Blog Entries
    my mum (no dementia) has been given something similar I believe (Laxido?) by her GP because she has a minor prolapse so mustn't 'strain'- but they do seem to either do nothing, or go off like a bomb! She is currently only taking half the prescribed amount and it seems to be a bit more predictable ....
    Im glad we had the times together just to laugh and sing a song, seems like we just got started and then before you know it, the times we had together were gone.
    ― Dr. Seuss

Movocol is a "mechanical" laxative. By this I mean it does not work like a drug. It is an inert substance that is not absorbed by the body. Instead, when it is in the bowels it aborbs water - one of the functions of the bowel is to take water from food that has been digested into the body. In most people if this did not happen we would have constant and liquid diarrhea. However, in others too much water is taken away or their general instake of water (via drinks and food) may be low. In that case their stools will become very hard and difficult to pass, the result in constipation. Movocol reverses this process and thus stools become softer and easier to pass.

It can be used as necessary. If someone has returned to normal habits or has diarrhea then you can stop using it until you need it again.

Other laxative drugs work by stimulating the muscles of the gut to work harder and faster, so they push the stools more, which in turn releives constipation. Unfortunately if you use such drugs for a long time, there is a risk that your body becomes reliant on them and you can have severe constipation when you stop.

Movicol is very safe because it is not a drug - in fact it is just ignored by the body and passes though unchanged as waste -therefore, there are usually no side-effects or interactions with anything else. This makes it a treatment of first choice.

Unfortunately some people with constipation do get bouts of diarrhea. They may not go for a very long time and then suddenly have to go a lot - getting rid of a long traffic jam, as it were.

You can always call the NHS Helpline on 111 for advice.

Blog Entries
    thank k you Nebiroth that's a really good suggestion and it hadn't crossed my mind.

We gave up on movicol for the very reason you mention. It seemed impossible to reach a settled state. It either didn't work at all or it led to constant breakthrough looseness. Tried it for two extended periods.

Also we tried various laxatives the GP was very confident about. None of the really addressed the problem.

We now rely on lots of fruit and veg, though my wife had always eaten these in recommended amounts, and high fibre cereal and bread. She still has problems, but the situation has improved and it's a bit easier to adjust things than it was with the meds. She has massive clearouts once or twice a week and not usually much in between, though is only completely 'clean' 24/36 hours after a clearout. One thing that is a bit odd is that the very large stools are not apparently any trouble for her to pass - certainly not the hard dry stool that is said to be typical with constipation.
    See my blog at: http://adventureswithdementia.blogspot.co.uk

There is no 'they': Everyone is different.

Blog Entries
    Hello
    Movicol is just as Nebiroth explained, it takes water into the bowel, so softens the stools

My mum was on Movicol for a looong time, I was initially told to give mum two sachets a day, it worked and sometimes worked far to well
    so I adjusted the dose as needed though I had not been told to do this

After about a year I received a letter and a helpful chart from the gp, saying that everyone who was on Movicol should be given the Bristol stool chart,
    lots of pics of different types of stools and what to do with Movicol dosage, now I dont know if they still provide this chart as it was some yrs ago we were given it, but it is worth asking for one

Close youe eyes folks if your eating or have a queezzy tum)
    When you say breakthrough diarrhea, do you mean as happened to my Mum , that it worked to well, or could it be caused by bypassing , when a person is blocked up, but their is a liquid seepage,
    if the cause is bypassing then gp needs to be informed asap

Hope this helps
    Lin

Daughter and former carer

If only I could have Hindsight beforehand, oh what a difference it would make .

Odd words,mis-spelling and punctuation are most likely due to my clever phone, it seems to have its own ideas about what I am trying to say, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol

Yes, our local continence clinic provides everyone with the Bristol stool chart (kindly provided by Movicol ). But in our case it proved impossible to get the continence clinic to offer any help at all once they determined my wife was incontinent and had given the go ahead for the supply of pads/pants,

The GP has the same attitude, so we are on our own. Currently, the therapist (a friend) who gives my wife regular reflexology has tried massage of the sigmoid colon - with some success, She is traines in a number of different therapies.

Clearly a lot of people are helped by movicol. But not everyone is.
    See my blog at: http://adventureswithdementia.blogspot.co.uk

There is no 'they': Everyone is different.

I have suffered since birth from what doctors just refer to as a "lazy" colon - it just doesn't pass things along as it should, so I can get really bad constipation very quickly if I don't monitor closely. There have been times when I haven't "gone" for nearly three weeks! I use movicol sometimes, but only once have had to use for impaction - where things have got so blocked and then you get breakthrough diarrhea, but it's liquid going around the blockage. Then, I had to take I think it was 6 sachets within eight hours. That worked - rather too well, but it did work!

Normally I eat a diet ridiculously high in fibre, and drink a minimum of two liters of fluid a day - green tea and water, plus lemon juice in hot water morning and evening. And I often take psyllium husk (in lots of water) too - that's just extra soluble fibre. You can buy big bags of plain psyllium husk in health shops, but it's sold in chemists as Fybrogel, orange flavoured I think - it's horrible plain, and if you leave it sit after mixing, it turns into a consistency like wallpaper paste! And sometimes I take Fruits & Fibre chewable cubes, which taste awful, but do work quite well.

Blog Entries
    thanks all,bit of a minefield really.All complicated by someone who is sufficiently in control to refuse to eat healthy and regards water as the drink of the devil.you certainly don't get much guidance.

Blog Entries
    Hi, not much to add except that Mum 91 has been on Movicol for years now and once we'd got the dose right it was fine. It did take a while to find the right dose and best time to give it. It's not caused any problems.