+ Post a comment

My grandmother had alzheimers now my mom has been diagnosed with early onset dementia

Hi everyone! Im new around here! im 36 years old and my gandma was diagnosed with Alzheimer when she was 60 years old. Now, on November 2012, my mom was diagnosed with early onset dementia... yes, im scared, cause i know how bad things can get, and im scared because of me and but most of all, for my 1 year old daughter. But also, i know that science is working hard to stop Alzheimer.
    I don't want to worry too much, it would be a waste of time... If it has to happen it will, no matter what!
    The good news the doctor gave us today, was about "Rember" and that the medication can be available around this year. ...
    Does anyone know something about this?

Hi and welcome to TP. You'll find lots of lovely people on here with a wealth of information for you. Both carers and sufferers alike.

Here is a link to a 2008 article about Rember:

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives...s_comeback.php

Best wishes

Hugs

ps you can also search for methylene blue
    Last edited by loveahug; 25-02-2013 at 11:16 PM.

welcome. I am in an eerily similar situation as you. I'm 36, with 2 young girls, my grandfather had alzheimers, diagnosed around 58, and my mum also has alzheimers, diagnosed at 57. It is stressful, but it's not the end of the road.

My mum had the genetic testing (i'm in australia, so it's probably slightly different), but the results as far as I'm aware indicate that my mum doesn't carry any of the 3 specific genes / markers that indicate it being genetic.

My major worry was myself getting it, and then my 2 children being at risk. my partners grandmother also has it, so the family history is crazy strong. I still worry, and am constantly crossing my fingers that I don't get it, or that if I do get it, i'll suffer a quick heart attack before it crushes me.

There are plenty of us here who understand the stresses involved and who'll listen when you want to vent, or stick our shoulders out when you need to have a cry.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

Alzheimers is a marathon, not a sprint, better get myself in shape

I'm an Australian daughter, mum with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's at 59. Grandmother inlaw nearing a century old also with Alzheimer's, deceased grandfather had Alzheimer's.

http://dragonmemoirs.blogspot.com.au/

Thank you so much. Its good to know that i am (we are!) not alone!
    I'm from Mexico, and yes, it's different, but i'll try to find out something about that genetic test so my mom can have it. Thank you so much for sharing your story <3

Quote Originally Posted by zeeeb View Post
    welcome. I am in an eerily similar situation as you. I'm 36, with 2 young girls, my grandfather had alzheimers, diagnosed around 58, and my mum also has alzheimers, diagnosed at 57. It is stressful, but it's not the end of the road.

My mum had the genetic testing (i'm in australia, so it's probably slightly different), but the results as far as I'm aware indicate that my mum doesn't carry any of the 3 specific genes / markers that indicate it being genetic.

My major worry was myself getting it, and then my 2 children being at risk. my partners grandmother also has it, so the family history is crazy strong. I still worry, and am constantly crossing my fingers that I don't get it, or that if I do get it, i'll suffer a quick heart attack before it crushes me.

There are plenty of us here who understand the stresses involved and who'll listen when you want to vent, or stick our shoulders out when you need to have a cry.