+ Post a comment

Care home in London where they can speak Spanish

I'm taking care of my mum, who was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type in 2005. She lives in London with my partner and I. She is doing well and I'm happy to take care of her. However, I feel that since she moved in, I have very little time for myself. This is particularly true when it comes to my relationship with my partner. I was wondering if anyone knew of a home where my mum could go for short stays so that we can have a break. The problem is that mum doesn't speak English, only Spanish. Are there any homes in London that focus on minorities, like the Spanish/Latino community? Many thanks!
    Last edited by antoniomoreno; 03-09-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: mistakes

Hello Antonio

Welcome to Talking Point.

Respite to give yourselves a break is a very good idea. We're not allowed to mention individual CHs on the forum but if anyone knows of anywhere suitable, they will be able to send you a private message.

Have you contacted your local branch of Age UK or the Alzheimers Society? I wonder if they would know - or at least point you in the right direction.

Is there a particular part of London with a strong Spanish community? It might be worth asking around there.

Blog Entries
    In our county care/nursing home guide it does tell you the languages spoken in the various homes, so have you tried looking in the corresponding guide in your area. Tthe adult Services dept. of the council should have a copy for you.

Please help ayuda por favor

Quote Originally Posted by antoniomoreno View Post
    I'm taking care of my mum, who was diagnosed with dementia of the Alzheimer's type in 2005. She lives in London with my partner and I. She is doing well and I'm happy to take care of her. However, I feel that since she moved in, I have very little time for myself. This is particularly true when it comes to my relationship with my partner. I was wondering if anyone knew of a home where my mum could go for short stays so that we can have a break. The problem is that mum doesn't speak English, only Spanish. Are there any homes in London that focus on minorities, like the Spanish/Latino community? Many thanks!
    Hi Antonio, my name is Arantxa. I'm Spanish and live in London too. My mum has also got memory problems and I need someone to look after her while I go to work. I wonder if you can help me by telling me of any centre that you know about.
    Muchas gracias

Google

spanish expats in london

and take it from there.

Antonio and Arancha

If you contact http://www.ageuk.org.uk/london/, they should be able to tell you which Age UK London branches have Spanish speakers working/volunteering for them and may be able to provide further assistance.

Buena suerte!
    Last edited by Spiro; 07-10-2013 at 09:51 AM.