Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012

    Continuous nursing care


    I need to find a nursing home for my Mum, Has VasDem, stroke and brain hemerage.

    I know theres nursing homes which has to be paid for but ive heard of continous care where the state pays for everything.

    Anyone come across this or been involved with continous care package for their parents?

    Jean X

  2. #2
    Registered User jeany123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Blog Entries
    Hi Jean, you will find this has been written about quite often on here, if you put it in the search, I am sorry i have no experience of this but I am sure someone will be along soon who has ,

    Jeany x
    You Never Know How Strong You Are Until Being Strong Is the Only Choice You Have,

  3. #3
    Volunteer Moderator jaymor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Hi Jean,

    My husband has continuing healthcare funding. it is funding paid for by the NHS as oppossed to local authority funding.

    My husband was put forward for continuing healthcare funding by the assessment centre he was admitted to. They assessed his needs for care and nursing in great depth, scoring his needs from mild to severe. Everything was covered and took some time to evaluate. He was in the assessment unit for 9 weeks so they were fully aware of his needs. Then the results were taken to a panel who make the decission as to whether to award the funding or not. We heard a week later that it had been awarded.
    Most of my husband's results were in the severe column. His needs really are great and he has one to one care within the nursing home so there is always a member of staff with him who has only my husband to care for.

    I cannot give any advice on how you apply yourself as we were not aware of continuing healthcare funding until the assessment centre said they were applying for it. I thought we had been asked to attend a meeting to let us know the assessment of his stage of the disease (alzheimers) and possible change of medication. When they mentioned the panel, I asked what that meant and they explained about the funding.


  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Smudge if your mother is in hospital, ask the ward staff and they will arrange for a continuing health care assessment. As a family you should be invited to take part in the assessment.


  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Hi - any health professional involved in the care of your mother can refer her for CHCF or you can apply yourself by ringing the appropriate department at the PCT, but I warn you it is very hard to get. I am going through the process for my husband at the moment (see previous thread).

    Good luck. Sox

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Greater London
    Hi Jean

    I am going to post some links for you. It does look a lot of reading, I'm afraid, but it will show you what it is about. Also, if you go to the AS factsheets link above, there will be a factsheet about CHC.

    Especially in the light of the problems that your Mum has had, it sounds very much as though she is a good case for CHC, she has had a stroke, PEG feeding is being suggested (which wouldn't be done at home) - it would appear that she has a "primary health need" as opposed to needing social care.

    First of all someone (in our case, the SW) will do the checklist.

    You will see towards the end of the bumpf there is a list of different categories with each classified as A, B or C. A good number of As and Mum should then be referred for the assessment stage.

    In this case, there are 11 or 12 different sections with classifications of priority (in some cases) severe, high moderate or low. Obviously, someone with all low wouldn't qualify but although my Mum only had one severe (for cognition?) and everything else bar one was high (3?) or moderate, it was felt that she had demonstrated the "primary health need" and she got the CHC.

    The other thing I would stress is evidence. Hopefully, this latest hospital stay in itself has generated a lot of notes from various professionals. Your own observations are not unimportant. I had for some time been keeping a diary about my Mum and any questions could be addressed from this diary.

    Take time to study these lists. Tell it like it is on a bad day. They are also looking at complexity and unpredictability of care needs.

    Good luck
    Last edited by Contrary Mary; 26-08-2012 at 04:46 PM.

    Daughter and former carer
    Now doing voluntary work at local Carers centre

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012


    Hi Mary

    Thank you so much for the links and info. I will print this out and yes like you I have kept a diary of incidences with Mum inc neighbours observations.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts