Thread: Newbie also

New User
    Blog Entries

Newbie also

My mother in law was dignosed last year with Alzheimers.this last week she has taken to throwing things away, medication, money tearing up photos of her only son and her husband who passed away some years ago .she throws food away also. I visit her twice a day to check what she is throwing away. Her hygene is not good and i clean for her on a monday. It,s so hard as i,m sure it is for all of you. i have a family and i also work. Not sure what to do. we had a visit from social services early this year who said that she was low risk and gave good eye contact !!!!!. her house was clean then. She is much worse although taking aricept ( I feel to no effect). She was on patches but she kept taking them off. just a bit lost, my husband and i dont no what else we could do.

Hello Michelle

Welcome to Talking Point. Sorry you've had to find us here but you and your OH will get lots of support and advice.

If you husband wants to rescue sentimental items like photos, then I think he's entitled to do so. Has he any siblings? He might want to run it past them first so he's not accused of stealing. My MIL recently chucked out old photos of her grandparents - and I was incensed. There are my children's ancestors too.

Maybe you could take her out for the afternoon and let your husband remove what he needs to.

If he's uncomfortable removing things from the house, then another option is to box things up and pop them in the loft to be dealt with in due course.

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Hi Michelle and welcome from me too. I'm sorry you mother in law is suffering as she is. It must be very hard to deal with her ripping things up and throwing things away. I would agree that it might be best to remove anything of value or sentimental value.

I know that you said that SW saw your mum earlier this year and deemed her to be 'ok'. I wondered if it might be a good idea to ask them to come back and do a full needs assessment. I would ensure that you say that you think your MIL is 'vulnerable' and 'at risk'. This would be especially so if she is throwing her medication away.

I hope you get some help for her soon. TAa
    Izzy
    Carer and Volunteer Moderator

ABOUT ME.

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson

Hi Michelle, a warm welcome to TP (talking point), thank you for posting your concerns regarding your mum in law, OK social worker needs to come as an URGENT request, low risk good eye contact, yes indeed that may have been the case then, but I guess mum in law has a CPN(mental health nurse) who should be keeping an eye on things, as sicial setvices should be doing!so please ask your GP to visit mum in law for reassessment, if possible a visit can be made with doctor,CPN and social services together, please do not be fobbed off by the people that can help, mum can have carers put in for her by SS even if they visit just to give her medicationplease do not let them know that you will do it! as you pop in twice a day, they dont need to know thisif she is on Aricept which does not seem to work(alas Michelle it does not help all, but if mum in law is not taking it you won't know if it will help as it DOES take some while to kick in)please write down all your concerns for when you talk to the doctor, hope you can get some help soon, and please let us know how things are. Best wishes x
    Chris

“High the memory carry on
    While the moments start to linger
    Sail away among your dreams
    The strength regains us in between our time"

- YES - The Remembering (High the Memory)

New User
    Blog Entries

Smile With thanks

My husband is an only child so he does not not need to ask anyone else if he decides to remove things so there safe. It just feels so wrong and like your doing things behind her back, but it,s got to be better than her throwing things away. I give her medication each day and no longer leave her spare ones at her house. I have only done this this past week. Tried leaving her empty pill boxes in different places but each day they were in the bin. I rang the memory clinic to see if i could bring her next appointment forward. Her appointment is in September so they felt this was ok. I do to because it,s not to far away i suppose. She has been on the Aricept since aprox Aprill. Thanks for your reply realy gratefull. It,s such a cruel condition.