Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

The smell of urine ...

Any tips on getting rid of the smell of urine ? And please, please don't say CLEAN UP...

I clean from 7.30 am till 12.30pm. There are three airfreshners , all of which play up my asthma. The windows are as open as Mum will allow.

The knickers and sheets go in a bucket with Zoflora disinfectant and a load of washing and drying goes on everynight overnight. The toilet and floors are cleaned as often as I can...

Poor old Glamourpuss has a bad back and is going to enjoy her Tramadol night 'cos i'm well fed up with the smell of wee in'it.

Vinegar in a spray helps get rid of the smell of wee, spray the offending carpets or surfaces with it and add it to water you use for washing anything , I hope this helps cos once you get the smell of it in your nostrils I think you start imagining it I used to when we had a old incontinent dog but this worked for me good luck
    Jeany x
    Last edited by jeany123; 16-05-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    You Never Know How Strong You Are Until Being Strong Is the Only Choice You Have,

I always use neutradol. It isn't actually an air freshener, it is supposed to absorb the smell. I too cannot bear these air fresheners which puff out perfume, I do not hve asthma but it makes me cough.

I do not have a good sense of smell, so I usually ask close friends when they visit to walk into the bedroom to tell me if they can smell anything.

Gordon has been incontinent for 15 months now, and so far no smell.

I use diluted dettol on his urinal etc.

I sleep in the same bedroom and sometimes I can smell it in the mornings.

Jeannette

"Flash with febreeze" worked well for my incontinent sheepdog, or pet odour eliminators. Also diluted biological washing liquid. (off thread but I have had a cough for 3-4weeks - sometimes verging on asthma-like struggling for breath, and a couple of times I had to go home from work - finally realised it was the Neutradol that someone had bought instead of the usual air freshner - I got a slight whiff of it on Monday and ended up keeled over in the garden gasping for breath)

I'm with Jeany in that once you start to think there's that smell you can also start to imagine it. Assuming you aren't though - I'd actually be considering whether it was the soft furnishing that were holding the smell. Chairs in particular: the urine soaks in and dries to the touch and it might not smell much until it gets sat on or warm at which point it's like reverse deodorizer. Any carpet or mattress can be problematic as well.
    Jennifer

Volunteer moderator and former long distance carer.

A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.

Abraham J. Heschel

Quote Originally Posted by Glamour Puss View Post
    Any tips on getting rid of the smell of urine ? And please, please don't say CLEAN UP...

I clean from 7.30 am till 12.30pm. There are three airfreshners , all of which play up my asthma. The windows are as open as Mum will allow.

The knickers and sheets go in a bucket with Zoflora disinfectant and a load of washing and drying goes on everynight overnight. The toilet and floors are cleaned as often as I can...

Poor old Glamourpuss has a bad back and is going to enjoy her Tramadol night 'cos i'm well fed up with the smell of wee in'it.
    Thanks for these useful tips. Not only is there a wonderful aroma of urine in the bathroom but of course we mustnt forget the car!!! Another enclosed space full of delightful aromas!!!

I love the name "Glamour Puss" by the way.....I am imagining a Princess in a Tiara and evening dress sort of wafting around the mansion with a bucket, mop and bottle of bleach!

Blog Entries
    Can you still buy Napisan? That would help with the stuff going into the bucket, at least.

There is a product to use after pets which I have heard is most effective.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/stain...-at-home-30212

Sylvia

Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator .

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Hi Glamour Puss
    I had the same problem and i went on internet and there was a company called good ideas who done excellent mattress protectors and they also done a spray liquid called mattress deodoriser it is really good you can also get it from other sites variable prices. Hope this helps

This is the product I would recommend for removing impregnated urine smells from carpets, flooring, furnishing fabrics and car upholstery - Urine Off. It is available from a number of retailers, e.g.: http://www.petfresh.co.uk/ The product details at that link indicate that it is also effective on human urine and other biological residue, and is used in hospitals and care homes.

I have found it very effective sprayed on carpets and floorboards, for cat wee. It breaks down the urine crystals and digests them with bio-enzymes. I buy the large bottle: http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.a...329&pf_id=8821 and then pour some of the product undiluted into a smaller spray bottle. One that has been used for something like Dettox is ideal. Or you can buy one spray bottle of Urine Off and then top in up from the more economical 3.8 litre bottle. No, it isn't cheap, but it does work.

Reduce the number of places where urine can sink in, if possible. Have vinyl flooring in bathrooms and kitchens - tiles are OK but urine soaks into the grout. Use washable incontinence mats on chairs, beds and car seats. You can also get washable non-slip floor mats to go under/in front of a commode. I find this supplier has all the things we need: http://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/

Nappy soak powders are good but beware that they will gradually destroy any waterproof liners - so don't use them for the washable mats and pads, just for soaking clothes and bedding. If you can't find these powders in the high street, they are available on Amazon and presumably from other online suppliers.
    Last edited by Katrine; 16-05-2012 at 05:55 PM.

You definitely need one of the afforementioned products that will chemically or biologically break down the substances that cause the smell. Fresh, properly dilute urine is almost odourless and sterile (smell urine can indicate a problem - a foul smell indicates infection, for example, or an ammoniac smell indicates it is far too concentrated, which usually means dehydration). However, over time bacteria and chemical action cause urine to break down into smelly chemicals, principally the urea converts to ammonia, with that characteristic stale urine smell. Also, when urine dries out, it leave sbehind crystals that attract water, and when they do that, it recreates the smell.

Perfumes and most air fresheners just disguise the pong.

The "pet problem" products are very effective. You could also try traditional methods like white vinegar, but this can itself 'stain' fabrics by bleaching them. Youo could also try diluted biological washing powder, it contains enzymes to break down 'organic' stains.

Rug Dr used to make a spray to use before you shampooed with their carpet cleaner. I used it to get rid of very strong pongs.

Lemony xx

When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

If you look at the American website for the Urine Off products: http://urineoff.com/professional/eldercare.html more is explained, and they have all sorts of other products such as UV lights, like on CSI! I don't know if any retailer in the UK has all these products but the cat or dog product should do fine.

Please come back and tell us what you used and what worked Glamourpuss :)
    You Never Know How Strong You Are Until Being Strong Is the Only Choice You Have,