Blog Entries

Acute onset dementia.

Does anyone have any experience of acute onset dementia? Came on like a switch. Sane one minute then insane next. Started with being abnormaly happy then Rambling. Repetition of words Spelling words. And repetition of actions. Any experience anyone ?

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Is there any chance of a urine infection. My mother's behaviour used to change dramatically and quickly with one. Or a TIA? She also had these and was very different after one. Have you had a doctor's input?
    Izzy
    Carer and Volunteer Moderator

ABOUT ME.

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson

I'm with Izzy on this - that pattern of events was what initiated a diagnosis in my Mum's case.

Looking back, with my later knowledge, there were signs that there had been TIAs we hadn't identified, but latterly explained sudden changes and heralded the downward spiral.

Get in touch with a GP to check for a UTI in the first instance; they can cause havoc in terms of confusion but at least that is treatable.

Blog Entries
    Yes thanks for input. Medicom called in Norfolk. Prescribed sedative didn't work.
    Urine clear. So went to out of hours doctor surgery. Pulse. Blood pressure temperature all normal. So went to hospital. Taken bloods with difficulty. Pinning her down. Can't get drip in as still manic. So antibiotics and fluid but I guess will be slow without a drip.

Blog Entries
    They seem to think it came on so quickly it will go just as quick and she will return to normal !

I find that hard to believe.

Any thoughts ?

I don't want to frighten you, but someone I know experienced sudden dementia like symptoms (in fact the first doctor said it was probably the start of dementia!) but it turned out to be a brain tumour.

I'm not suggesting that's what it is in this case, just that there could be something there worth investigating and nothing to do with dementia.
    Last edited by Delphie; 08-05-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecilia View Post
    They seem to think it came on so quickly it will go just as quick and she will return to normal !

I find that hard to believe.

Any thoughts ?
    The way my aunt was diagnosed was at just such a phase, though it was easy to guess a TIA (mini stroke) because she had fallen over. But anyway, she appeared quite insane for a couple of weeks, especially because of endlessly repeating the same phrases over and over again, and having hallucinations of children in the house. And then it did all go away. So be reassured that she may very well return to (near) normal.

Blog Entries

It came on quickly with my mum too

She was getting confused but in the last week and a half she has gorgon slot worse. Doctor says she has had several mild strokes but he can't tell when. I would say, more recently judging by what she is like now.

Blog Entries

Unhappy

Hello Cecilia
    You must be so so worried

could their have been a head injury ?
    My dad who did not have dementia (mum was in final stage) sustained a head injury causing 2 subdural haematomas and
    Sudden onset dementia (which thankfully cleared up in a few days ) he was really feisty to say the least

I Suspect their is an infection somewhere that is either causing the symptoms your seeing which hopefully will clear up once the infection has gone
    or their the beginnings of dementia which often go unnoticed and an infection even a simple cold will cause a terrible downturn in dementia symptoms , this to often clears up but not always.
    Lin

Daughter and former carer

If only I could have Hindsight beforehand, oh what a difference it would make .

Odd words,mis-spelling and punctuation are most likely due to my clever phone, it seems to have its own ideas about what I am trying to say, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the posts. They are giving her antibiotics and tonight she was quieter but still repetitive
    so hoping she sleeps.

Thank you all so much..

Don't worry I knew about the brain tumour possibility, my daughter has something similar.

Blog Entries

The penny drops

The ramblings of a mad mum and her sleep deprived daughter's interpretation :-

Mum's ramblings - A. I. A. I. A. I.
    Started when - monday - she read the letters on something
    Mum trying to tell Andy Edward & I ? - i didnt feel well at the Opticians

Also
    spelling out names, put you glasses on. Take you glasses off, stand by the wall,

Mum's action - stroking area from hip to groin
    Started when - Monday
    Mum trying to tell *John Andy Edward & I ? - im not well i think ive got a urine infection

Also
    I'm disabled

Mum action - pointing at spots
    Started when - Monday
    Mum trying to tell John Andy Edward & I and hospital staff ? - I've got cancer

Also
    I don't want to lose by hair. John hasn't lost his hair. Jane you don't want to lose your hair.

Mum ramblings - I'm next
    Started when - in hospital
    Mum trying to tell john andy edward and i and hospital staff? - I am going to die

Also
    Im the one, Dad's dead, I'm going through that door,(her mum died of cancer)

Mum ramblings - Karen's dead
    Started when - in hospital
    Mum trying to tell John and me ? - I think dads dying how would you feel if your wife died.

Also
    Colin's dead
    Last edited by Cecilia; 09-05-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Has your mum had a brain scan? That's what finally diagnosed vascular dementia in my mum. It showed she had had TIAs.
    Izzy
    Carer and Volunteer Moderator

ABOUT ME.

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson

Blog Entries
    She was too manic. But was very quiet last night sitting still and moving things slowly on a table.
    I think she has given up trying to tell us cos we were so slow understanding her.
    But I've sent my brother to the hospital to tell her we understand now.

She must have been exhausted as no sleep since Sunday night and then only 2hrs.
    Hopefully she's had a good night and wakes up prepared to tell us whats wrong in her ramblings. we have just got to understand them.

Lots of possible causes of delirium. Hypothermia, drugs, carbon monoxide poisoning,etc etc. I remember one very confused lady admitted to hospital and she had Cushings disease I seem to remember. Any infection can lead to sudden confusion.
    Let us know the results, really interested.
    Hope mum feels better soon.
    `As we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same`

NELSON MANDELA

Blog Entries
    Update, mum still hospital. Thye are convinved it's an infection and she's on 2nd course of antibiotics.

Complication came when I insisted she was woken for her 10pm tablet on Wednesday night, 9th, and they, hospital, were happy to leave her. When I tried to rouse her it was obviouse she was totally unresponsive. Did her blood sugar levels. 1.1. Then they rushed into action !!!!!!

Now we're are trying to ensure they monitor BSL more often and ensure tablets taken.

I have come home to Kent to sleep. Left her with my brothers.

My dads back pain which I think bought on this acute onset dementia with mum is still bad. A locum prescribed diclofenic which clashed with his other tablets caused a set back, no pun intended.. Hopefully now back on a good pain relief regime.

What a week ! Let's hope next week is better.

Thanks for the messages so helpful to have a forum to talk to.

xxxxxx