Bathroom problems

Had a really nice day yesterday my boyfriend's mum was very cheerful. in fact, during the week, she'd made a lot more effort to speaking. Yesterday, she laughed all day. Did seem kinda drunk at times, staggering a little and laughing, but she was happy. Did wet herself once, but thats not unusual (forgot to put toilet lid up). Speaking lots, mostly nonsense but a couple of good sentences. It was nice to see.

Today, different story. Quiet, morose almost, wandering around looking lost. She wet again and we've noticed she's having trouble getting in and out of the bath, she can't lift her leg now over the side.

We're trying to do the best we can to keep her at home, so I think we need to change the bath. Getting a walk in bath seems like the best option but i guess they are expensive, we'd have to get rid of the existing bath, and put in a half walk-in bath and a shower. If we ask for help from Social Services (we've not asked for any help at all yet) is there any financial help for this sort of thing?

Sorry because this isn't a subject area I've huge knowledge on but remember I was once told that I could call SS for Occupational Health to come and do an assessment with regards to getting a more accessible bath fitted. Am not sure if it's means tested as agree it would be rather expensive but it's always worth asking. Best of luck and sorry you had bad day today, it can be so up and down with dementia.

SS have "given"my parents a bath seat which lowers them into the bath & up again. They came & did an assessment primarily of my mum at the time,because she'd been in hospital really poorly & when she came home couldn't step into the bath.
    No struggle to step over the bath side with it.
    Val

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    We got an over bath shower seat for mum first then I persuaded them to change it for a bath lift. This was through occupational therapy. I doubt if they would supply a walk in bath. I think they're very expensive.
    Izzy
    Carer and Volunteer Moderator

ABOUT ME.

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson

I got the bath taken out and a walk-in shower put in, no charge. I phoned the SS and they came out to do an assessment and agreed that it was a priority it was done within a week.

We had a walk-in shower fitted after contacting Social Services. It was part of a grant for handrails outside, central heating and the shower. So fortunate there was no charge.

I've just had an OT assessment for Mum to help her and we've had a mattress raiser, slider sheets and raised toilet seats with grab rails supplied. We've also had a referral for a stair lift and there has been no charge for any of this. So I would contact your SW or Social Services. I also have a physciotherapist coming tomorrow to assess Mums mobility so that might be able to help you as well

Jude

Thank you all so much for the info, that really helps. I'll see if its possible we can start to get some help for this. We've done a lot ourselves, securing the house so she can't wander outside, fitting fences, gates, locks, bolts, etc, and we've put in security cameras inside so we can keep a better eye on her. But it all costs, and I'm sure refitting the bathroom will be expensive. She's never used a shower, so not sure she could get used to that, a walk in bath would be better.

Does it make a difference if she has her own money in savings, even if its locked away in a bank that nobody can get to (since we left it too late to get a POA/LPA, and she's not competent now to agree to it) ?

Hello Phips, I just wanted to pop this link in for the AS factsheet re Community Care Assessments. It does mention equipments and adaptions etc so it might be worth checking out.

Very best wishes to you all.