+ Post a comment
    Blog Entries

Should family carers be paid?

Has anyone else seen this link:-

Conservative MPs have said the government could save money if it paid families to care for elderly relatives at home, rather than using council services. Is a wage for caring a good idea?

This closes in two days time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...02/carers-paid

Quote Originally Posted by Cecilia View Post
    Has anyone else seen this link:-

Conservative MPs have said the government could save money if it paid families to care for elderly relatives at home, rather than using council services. Is a wage for caring a good idea?

This closes in two days time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...02/carers-paid
    What they mean is they could save a bit more money. Unpaid carers already save the government a fortune. If the motive behind this is to really recognize carers and what they do then yes it's a good move, if the motive behind it is to save money then I'm not so sure.

I'm assuming this payment is instead of a 'personal budget' and would replace Carers' Allowance.

If so, families would not have enough resources to enable them to care properly for an elderly relative with dementia.

I'm afraid I'm cynical. There would have to be some 'watchdog' to ensure that the money was used for the correct purpose. There will always be people who would take the money and do nothing.

And, as there's no more money in the kitty, I don't see how this will save money for councils at all.

Or am I missing something?
    It's hard to feel as fit as a fiddle when you're the shape of a cello.