Music and Alzheimer's

I found this on another site. It shows the benefits of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDXu...layer_embedded

I'm not sure where this should be posted.

Lemony xx

When life gives you lemons make lemonade.

Excellent video. My father's always been into classical music though he played/plays recorder and harmonica. So many things he can't/doesn't remember (like who I am) but if I coax him to pick up one of his harmonicas or recorders and just have a go, after a few notes, he's off playing a tune by ear that's come into his head. I try to join in and sing along (usually folk songs) so that he knows he's doing it right.

Now that my mother's gone, the house is permanently tuned to Classic FM with a radio in most rooms and he falls asleep to it. Before the Alzheimers he listened to a lot of R4 discussion and news programmes and specific concerts on R3 because Classic FM just 'played the same stuff over and over'. Now he doesn't recall what he was doing half an hour ago, let alone the day before and hearing favourites several times a day is perfect. Just as well I like it as well.

Yes,I saw this clip a couple of weeks ago,fascinating to see
    Val

I take my OH to a 'Singing for Fun' afternoon, which is specifically for people for dementia (and their carers). It has been discovered that dementia sufferers who can't speak very well are able to sing!! It's great fun, and one lady who talks absolute nonsense sings like an opera singer - it's beautiful! She always says 'I don't know this one, I've never seen it before' - but of course she has, and when the piano starts playing she sings it like a professional! OH loves to go, even though he can't really read the words from the song sheets, but they play old favourites so it's not a problem. They also have a few poems read out by helpers and then it's followed by tea and biscuits. It's also very good for carers and a chance to exchange stories and help each other with advice.
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain