Thread: So proud

So proud

Its been 2 years or so since I lost my mum to dementia, back in the day I posted quite a lot on here for support , there is no better place! These days I browse but say little but wanted to share this with you guys....my lovely son . 17 yrs old who was "granny reared" by mum while I had my career until dementia struck has moved e to tears.

He is a fitness fanatic and has set his heart on running the London marathon for his chosen charity next year....this is his entry on "just giving.com" for his warm up race at the Birmingham marathon.....

"Hllo to my friends, family and others who have come across this page.

On the 16th of May 2010 my nan Ivy Gladding had passed away after a 7 year battle with Alzheimers. She gave me love and brought happiness to me as a young boy and now I want to give her something to be proud of.

My nan slowly started to become a different person and it became worse each year, As I was 7-8 years old when it started I never really understood why my nan was ill until I was about 12-13.

At the age of 11 my mom had brought a new house which was unsuitable to live in so my nan let us stay at hers for 1 year, In this time while my mom was working full time I was a young carer, I was running errands for her and making sure she didn't do anything dangerous and in return she gave me a home, love and a pleasant time staying there, I never really appreciated what she gave me until I was older and more mature.

About a year after we moved out, nans house was taken from her and she was moved into a care home for Alzheimers patients. From here she went downhill a lot, my mom was getting phone calls for things such as she had fell over or she had attacked another patient and eventually she had the big fall which caused a brain heamorrhage.

Nan was hospitalized in the Manor Hospital in Walsall when I was 14-15 years old and passed away 3 weeks later. During her time in the care home and hospital she no longer had any memory of the people around her, this included my mom and myself. She resorted back to being like a child, by this I mean she depended on someone else to do absolutely everything for her.

Participating in this half marathon demonstrates commitment, hard work, training and will raise some much needed funds to help others like my nan.

My ambition is to run the London Marathon next year and this half marathon is part of my training programme. I have set my fundraising target quite low so that hopefully people will support me more generously for the London Marathon next year.

I urge you all to donate to the Alzheimers society because one day it could be someone you love who is diagnosed with Alzheimers and to see them suffer is one of the hardest things to cope with. I will personally thank anybody who gives them a donation whether it is a pound or 70 pound. Thank you very much for viewing this page

Thats my boy !!

My charity

Alzheimer's Society

Charity Registration No. 296645

The Alzheimer's Society is the leading UK care and research charity for people with Alzheimer's disease and other dementias, their families and carers. To find out more about fundraising for the Society log on to www.alzheimers.org.uk

Donations 2

Blog Entries
    Good on him!!
    Of course you are proud, what a lovely caring young man
    Nanak
    missing what has gone and scared of what is to come