+ Post a comment
    Account Closed

Alzheimers Caused By Meat?

I urge anyone who is unsure about their AD diagnosis to read this:

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/bse_editorial.htm

It is certainly food for thought and confirms my belief that many cases of AD can be mis-diagnosed.

Thankyou for this, its interesting and something both myself and my Husband have discussed, i think its a feasible theory , lets face it you have to ask why such an increase in Alzheimers and dementia cases which are set to continue to climb, i dont buy that its because we are living longer, there are plenty of young people diagnosed , infact i am shocked at how many younger people it does affect, its also known that CJD has an incubation period so it makes logical sense.

My dad has for many years going back well before the CJD cases publicised, said there was madness in the food chain. He believed that the terrible atrocities of Dunblane, Hungerford etc were examples of how seemingly normal people suddenly turned on their community for no apparent reason. I remember my dad saying then that there was something in the food chain that somehow made people do mad things and i now believe he was right. It would be very interesting to know if that is actually a proven fact, when you think about it, years ago people ate meat or meat products all the time. There werent any ready meals or processed food then. Now there are thousands of elderly people who have some form of dementia. Could it really be true?

Blog Entries
    Not the first time I have heard this theory.

The husband of a physio I know (he is an orthodaedic consultant) has been saying that he thinks some AD diagnosis is actually CJD.

Until proper research is done we will only be able to guess but I do wonder myself

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by SWMBO1950 View Post
    Not the first time I have heard this theory.

The husband of a physio I know (he is an orthodaedic consultant) has been saying that he thinks some AD diagnosis is actually CJD.

Until proper research is done we will only be able to guess but I do wonder myself
    Wow, that is interesting that your physio's husband has said that he thinks some AD is in fact CJD, this is exactly what this article in the link I have shown is about. It says "that a recent study by CJD researchers at Yale University found 14% of patients thought to have died of AD actually died of CJD; a larger study from the University of Pennsylvania found a misdiagnosis rate of 5%, and estimated there may be 200,000 cases of CJD in the USA each year which are misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's."

"CJD victims have been known to be misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's, unless family members insist on an autopsy and examination of brain tissues."

"It is entirely possible the current epidemic of Alzheimer's disease may be like spongiform diseases which attack the brain -brought on by what you eat"

I thought this article was fascinating, it mentions that France dealt with a huge surprise in a recent test when mice in a control group contracted CJD from a lamb infected with scrapie.

What we already know here in the UK is that millions of us have been exposed to infected meat and bovine products from the BSE crisis between 1980- 1996, we know this incubates for years in humans, I dont think it is rocket science that sooner or later many of us are likely to develop diseases associated with rogue infected prions 10 yrs,20 yrs,30 yrs,40 yrs or even 50 years after exposure.

We are very close to having a nationwide blood test for living humans with suspected CJD symptons, this is being pioneered by Professor John Collinge in London at the Prion Clinic, this test if used on every single AD/Dementia patient would highlight how prevelant CJD is in the British population. The UK is classed as a high risk nation for CJD, the USA is not, the University of Pennsylvania are suggesting that there are an estimated 200,000 cases of CJD in the USA each year, I dread to think what the estimated statistics are here in the UK for misdiagnosis.

Blog Entries
    I'm not convinced the article is that new - is President Bush still in power? - note it says "has" allocated, not "allocated" as if he has just done so.

I have known vegetarians who have dementia, though of course far more on a diet that includes meat have the condition. This may be due to the very small proportion of vegetarians in the target population in the First World.

While food fads, changes in religion populations and nightmares such as BSE have resulted in proportionally more people turning from some meats in recent years, those who are currently in the target group for old age dementia are likely, I think, to have eaten what I would term a 'normal' diet at the time they would have been vulnerable.

My belief is that nobody has a clue what causes dementia, so many people try to use their favourite hobby horse to pin the blame on, whether that be meat, aluminium, smoking, etc...

Naturally, all avenues need to be checked, but the last place I would look for unbiased advice on meat is a site called 'vegsource'.

The article and the limited and not very targeted research, and the assumptions made on the basis of these things should certainly be investigated further, along with a host of other possible causes, in my opinion.

I'm not an expert in anything, just trying to understand the world and keep things in balance.
    Bruce

I'm still a Carer.

"I don't suppose I'll see you much more. We had lovely times. I love you very much." Jan's words, October 2000

"You'll take care of my daughter, won't you?" an ailing mother's words, 2013

"I always thought you were thick" an ailing mother's words to me, 2013. How right you are….

My belief is that nobody has a clue what causes dementia, so many people try to use their favourite hobby horse to pin the blame on, whether that be meat, aluminium, smoking, etc...
    I'll second that. 10 years on and I have come to the same conclusion. Still clutching at straws.

And here is some food for thought (albeit vegetarian). An opposing view.

Vegetarians likely to suffer from dementia, Alzheimer's--researchers
    http://www.themedguru.com/20101029/n...-86141281.html

Tofu 'may raise risk of dementia'
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm

We need coordinated serious funding and research, not second guessing.