Blog Entries

Incontinence and itch

As I know, lots of you out there are dealing with incontinent loved ones, I hope I can get some help here as MIL is still in hospital and the doctor has "had a look" and said there is nothing wrong/visible.

MIL is still incontinent at night but dry during the day. I didn't realise that she is wearing pads 24/7 until this afternoon when she complained of a fierce itch. It was, in fact, so bad that she pulled up her skirt and had a scratch which is when I spotted the pad. She's always had sensitive skin and has avoided perfumed bath products so I'm wondering if it's something to do with the pads? As she's been on different antibiotics for most of the 8 weeks she's been in hospital I suspected thrush at first until she told me about the doctor.

On a lighter note, OH is visiting her this evening and I hope she doesn't repeat the scratching as he WON'T be able to cope

Is the hospital using something when she's washed that could be causing it ?

Val

Blog Entries
    Ah, good thinking - I'll ask them what they use tomorrow. That's if they know......

Blog Entries
    Peggy, I'm sorry to hear about your Mum's problem. I have had intermittent manic scratching from Mum and have tried most things to help/prevent "feminine" itching.

Here's what I would use/check: a) Latex - do the pads contain Latex, does your Mum have an allergy to it? Even if she has been fine all her life, it is possible to develop an allergy later. I found that Sudacrem (used for nappy rash) and old fashioned Calomine cream works about the best of all - with a good wash down each day to ensure that all creams, all ammonia is off the skin. Although your Mum is wearing pads not pants, could it be a kind of heat rash perhaps - especially as her skin is sensitive? I hope someone at the hospital or on here can advise you better.

If it dosen't go away with other meds ask the home to swab for mrsa as this is what my Mum had when she was sore down below.

Does your Mum perhaps have cystitis?

Blog Entries
    She's been given a load of antibiotics since she's been in hospital. Now they're treating her for thrush!

New User

Father scratches

My father is doubly incontinent. Its not uncommon for me to find his finger nails have what I believe is faeces under them. I have reported it to staff but have had no feedback (as usual).

I have been told by care staff in his nursing home that for them to cut his fingernails is 'abuse' and only the chiropodist is allowed to do it. I took a bowl and nail cutters there to try to do it myself, but catching him in a co-operative mood has not yet proved possible.