Might be end of aricept

My father might not be given aricept,
    would like to know what are common thing that happen after he stops ,
    i know everyone is different asto how they react,
    but would like to hear other people thoughts,

Our Mum was taken off her Aricept over 12 months ago now, it was something we had dreaded for some years (she was on it for over 10 years). The Consultant felt she had reached a point where it was not making any difference.

I have to say that we have been surprised, Mum has not deteriorated very much, she is physically frailer, but we expect that at 97 and has no memory at all, and yet will surprise us at times by remembering things, yesterday the name of her last dog, who has not lived with her for 3 years! The most difficult thing for us now is her loss of eyesight, so that it makes some things like eating difficult for her.

So for us it has not made much difference, Mum has 24hr supervision in her care home but manges to dress herself, still understands what you ask her to do etc.

My husband was actually better when he came off aricept in that he was less panicy and the hallucinations went. He had been on it for three years previously and I think it was beneficial. If your dad is having to come off aricept you might want to ask to try him on Ebixa ( memantine). This does not suit everyone but has definitely helped my husband
    Tre

My mum was on aricept for 18 months, I stopped giving it to her around christmas time. At her 6 monthly appointment in mid february I told the Dr, who told me that if her parents were diagnosed she would not want them on any medication.........hmmmm
    Anyhow, mum has definitely improved, everyone who knows her has commented.

Re, zoe1968

Quote Originally Posted by zoe1968 View Post
    My mum was on aricept for 18 months, I stopped giving it to her around christmas time. At her 6 monthly appointment in mid february I told the Dr, who told me that if her parents were diagnosed she would not want them on any medication.........hmmmm
    Anyhow, mum has definitely improved, everyone who knows her has commented.
    Hi zoe, when you say that you told the doctor ,that you have stopped giving aricept , did you mean ,your G,P or consultant at hospital, As i believe that if that is the case they discharge the patient from consultant, did this happen to you, if so what happens ,as to care for your mum, if she gets worse

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    My husband was on Aricept for 10 years then was changed to Exelon (Rivagistamine) and has now been on that for around 2 years. At his last appointment at hospital his score on MMSE was 11 and the doctor offered a change to Ebixa. I chose to stay with Exelon just now. I must admit I would be scared to stop all medication in case there was a massive decline.
    Izzy
    Carer and Volunteer Moderator

ABOUT ME.

'The best things in life are nearest: Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you. Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.'
    Robert Louis Stevenson

Mum has been discharged and I have no idea what will happen in the future! One day at a time!