Dad moved into a Care Home today

Toward the end of Feb Dad was sectioned after an incident at a Day Care Centre where he had been agressive toward the staff. He was able to return home after the incident, but when the Dr's and Social Worker visited they decided sectioning was in everyone's interest (Mum had been caring for him at home for the last 4 years). We were told that transport wouldn't arrive until 11.30pm which I deemed unacceptably late so I took him in my car to the Psychiatric Hospital - I could barely see to drive as the tears streamed down my face - the CD we were listening to was Gustav Holtz the Planet Suite. I know the Hospital tried to do their best, but the place was depressing, with little or no home comforts. We were new to the process and found it very hard to deal with things such as my Dad's clothing going missing, him losing his glasses and no-one seeming to be able to find them, being dressed in other peoples' clothes, bumps on his head and other random injuries.
    I have just left him today after he was transferred into a Nursing Home - he and my mother are having their lunch together in the Dining Room - the table has a table cloth and there are napkins - sounds daft I know but these things are important. He has a nice room which has been made very cosy and warm - he was in there earlier today listening to his favourite CD (The Planet Suite) - I feel as though I can listen to it now without horrible memories flooding back.

Having also recently gone through transferring a parent to a care home totally understand how upsetting it is. I'm really glad your dad is now much more comfortable in a pleasant nursing home rather than the hospital unit as it sounds like you've been through a terrible time with his sectioning and the aftermath. Very much hope he settles well and you and your mum are able to visit him with more peace of mind he's being cared for as he should be somewhere safe.
    Last edited by Pheath; 30-04-2012 at 10:03 PM.

So glad you can now relax a little and feel less concerned. It is so difficult in hospital setting to stop worring about our relatives all the staff are so busy and you never seem to see the same person twice, so you have difficulty communicating the needs and wishes of someone with dementia.

How nice for you Mum and Dad to be able to have lunch together, as it should be. Take care of yourself now

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolgal View Post
    Toward the end of Feb Dad was sectioned after an incident at a Day Care Centre where he had been agressive toward the staff. He was able to return home after the incident, but when the Dr's and Social Worker visited they decided sectioning was in everyone's interest (Mum had been caring for him at home for the last 4 years). We were told that transport wouldn't arrive until 11.30pm which I deemed unacceptably late so I took him in my car to the Psychiatric Hospital - I could barely see to drive as the tears streamed down my face - the CD we were listening to was Gustav Holtz the Planet Suite. I know the Hospital tried to do their best, but the place was depressing, with little or no home comforts. We were new to the process and found it very hard to deal with things such as my Dad's clothing going missing, him losing his glasses and no-one seeming to be able to find them, being dressed in other peoples' clothes, bumps on his head and other random injuries.
    I have just left him today after he was transferred into a Nursing Home - he and my mother are having their lunch together in the Dining Room - the table has a table cloth and there are napkins - sounds daft I know but these things are important. He has a nice room which has been made very cosy and warm - he was in there earlier today listening to his favourite CD (The Planet Suite) - I feel as though I can listen to it now without horrible memories flooding back.
    Do so agree about that. My mother's CH always uses cloths and napkins and nice table mats - one lady resident enjoys laying the tables before every meal and folding all the things up afterwards.

Do hope your dad settles down soon and will be reasonably contented there. I know from 2 T shirts what a horrible and worrying time it can be.