Attendance allowance

Applied for this due to needing to help hubby with getting in and out of the shower and needing some help to cut up meat etc as he has a bad hand tremor,heard back today and its a NO so tell me when he gets the official diagnosis do you think I can get it then

Hi we got it for mum after her diagnosis, they gave her day and night. I would appeal

Once we had a diagnosis of Alzehimers for our Mum, we had no trouble getting the attendence allowance.
    Do hope you can sort out, getting some help is so important and makes such a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by megben View Post
    Applied for this due to needing to help hubby with getting in and out of the shower and needing some help to cut up meat etc as he has a bad hand tremor,heard back today and its a NO so tell me when he gets the official diagnosis do you think I can get it then
    Ask Age uk or CAB for help filling in the forms, they know exactly how to word them to give you the best chance of getting it .

Jeany
    You Never Know How Strong You Are Until Being Strong Is the Only Choice You Have,

I got it for my husband before he was diagnosed with Alzheimers. It is all about how you fill in the form. Someone else has sugg5ested you get help with this. I would appeal.

We used to have people from the Money Advice Unit here in Herts who came out and helped you fill in the form. They were very good. I had applied for the Lower Rate of AA but someone from DWP rang me having seen the form and said they would amend it as we could have the higher rate. Sadly, they are a casualty of the cuts as I tried to get help from them last October to fill in the carers allowance form. However they did send me to the CAB who assisted me over the telephone to complete the form also. I would try your local CAB and see if they can help you appeal. You have to know what to put on the form. You probably do meet the criteria but need some expert help in setting it down in the right way for the allowance to be awarded. Don't give up
    Tre

Quote Originally Posted by tre View Post
    We used to have people from the Money Advice Unit here in Herts who came out and helped you fill in the form. They were very good. I had applied for the Lower Rate of AA but someone from DWP rang me having seen the form and said they would amend it as we could have the higher rate. Sadly, they are a casualty of the cuts as I tried to get help from them last October to fill in the carers allowance form. However they did send me to the CAB who assisted me over the telephone to complete the form also. I would try your local CAB and see if they can help you appeal. You have to know what to put on the form. You probably do meet the criteria but need some expert help in setting it down in the right way for the allowance to be awarded. Don't give up
    Tre
    Age UK came to our house to help us fill in our forms.

Jeany
    You Never Know How Strong You Are Until Being Strong Is the Only Choice You Have,

A formal diagnosis of Alzheimer's (or other dementia) is not, on it;s own, enough to qualify anyone for Attendance Allowance. However, it may help towards qualifying since it is a disease that is well known for creating substantial levels of care needs.

Even so, AA is about what what help you need - not what illness you have. The only exception to this is a terminal illness where you are expected to live no longer than six months - this automatically qualifies for the highest rate AA and requires only medical confirmation of the fact.

The AA forms are to a large degree descritive, but the assessor will assign very exact meanings to whatever you say and will then apply precise rules to see if you qualify or not. For example, a rule may say "throughout the day" - "throughout" will be defines as being so many minutes over so many hours with how the minutes have to be spread across the hours, and "day" will mean between two specific times.

It is important to get help to fill in these forms - someone experienced will know the proper terms to use and will likely think of many things to put down which will count towards qualifying which you will not because you accept them as part of every day life or think they are not relevant.

Also, the form should be filled in from the aspect of the worst days, not average or best. Naturally this does not mean exaggerating.