+ Post a comment
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Certified copies of POA

Hello, I've just joined this forum because I googled "photocopy of a certified copy".

I paid a solicitor yesterday for certified copies of the POA for my father with multi-infarct dementia. I paid for 8, as he's still at home, and I need to sort things out with banks,pensions, utilities, council, etc all at once, and can't wait for each organisation to look at and lose the copy in turn.

I took the first one in the pile to my father's bank this morning, and they were concerned that the first page was a photocopy of the certified copy. Fortunately, the other pages had the solicitor's handwriting and stamp in ink, so they accepted it.

Back home I checked the other copies and found they are all just photocopies, except for the single original first page missing from the one I took to the bank.

I'm concerned that I have paid for documents that might have no legal validity. Can anyone advise?

Thanks
    gruffalo

That doesn't sound right you could have photo copied them yourself for 20p each page at the library
    You Never Know How Strong You Are Until Being Strong Is the Only Choice You Have,

Interesting point. In fact they will always be photocopies - how could they be anything else? However, what they should have on every page is the signature and stamp of the solicitor. On the first page as well which seems to have been where the problem arose here. If there's nothing on the first page, I'd go back to the solicitor.

Section 3 of the Powers of Attorney Act 1971
    3 Proof of instruments creating powers of attorney.E+W+S+N.I.

(1)The contents of an instrument creating a power of attorney may be proved by means of a copy which—

(a)is a reproduction of the original made with a photographic or other device for reproducing documents in facsimile; and

(b)contains the following certificate or certificates signed by the donor of the power or by a solicitor [F4duly certificated notary public] or stockbroker, that is to say—

(i)a certificate at the end to the effect that the copy is a true and complete copy of the original; and

(ii)if the original consists of two or more pages, a certificate at the end of each page of the copy to the effect that it is a true and complete copy of the corresponding page of the original.
    Last edited by jenniferpa; 20-04-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Jennifer

Volunteer moderator and former long distance carer.

“A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.”

Abraham J. Heschel

certified copy

Thinking back a certified copy ought to be signed/ initialed by solicitor on every 'photocopied' page and first page requires stamp and full signature of solicitior/notary. These things do become expensive and a hassle- hopefully someone here will know of an easierand less costly way.

Wow, so many quick replies! Sorry if my description wasn't clear. The solicitor photcopied the POA, then inked and stamped every page to create a "certified copy". He then put the "certified copy" in the photocopier and made 7 copies. He then stapled each set, but mixed up the top page of one of the bundles. Fortunately, the version I took to the bank was 90% "certified copy" - containing 9 inked and stamped pages beneath a photocopy of the inked top page.

I've left a message on his answerphone explaining that I'm quite capable of copying a document myself, but I paid him for 8 "certified copies" (on his recommendation), and await his response with interest.

gruffalo

Oh I see what you mean, the photocopies where ok but they should each be signed personally by the solicitor, I wonder if that's what they usually do ?
    You Never Know How Strong You Are Until Being Strong Is the Only Choice You Have,

Ah I see.

No, my understanding is that the certification (the signature/stamp) should be original on each copy.

So he should have taken 8 photocopies and then stamped and signed each page of each one.
    Jennifer

“A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.”

Abraham J. Heschel

Yes, lots of stamping and signing for the solicitor as all copies should be a copy of the original, not a copy of a copy if you see what I mean.

I had a little bit of bother in one bank over the certification. I also got 2 "office copies" from the OPG (can you still do that). They came in handy if there was any problem.
    Mary

Daughter and former carer
    Now doing voluntary work at local Carers centre

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Mary View Post
    Yes, lots of stamping and signing for the solicitor as all copies should be a copy of the original, not a copy of a copy if you see what I mean.

I had a little bit of bother in one bank over the certification. I also got 2 "office copies" from the OPG (can you still do that). They came in handy if there was any problem.
    No they don't do that (the office copies) anymore.
    Jennifer

Abraham J. Heschel

It is an absolute pain; I have just one certified (photocopy) of the POA and am so worried that it may get lost when I send it off the individiual organisations that need to see it. Can anyone give me an idea how much a solicitor would charge for extra certified copies?

Please note that the OPG do Office Copies, they are £35 a copy, if you already have your LPA registered. I rang them on Thursday!

It may be that these days they don't do the 2 free copies if you are registering the LPA now.

The certified copies must have the solicitor's handwritten signature on every page NOT a stamp of their signature. I am hoping to get some free copies done by my solicitor. It is not sufficient to just photocopy them like your solicitor has done.

Blog Entries
    Yes each page must be individually stamped and signed not just a photo copy of a stamped and signed LPA

I have read of posts on here where Job centres have done certified copies for peoples LPA

whatever you do do not let others have the original, certified copies can be replaced , though it costs, the original however cannot be replaced
    Lin

If only I could have Hindsight beforehand, oh what a difference it would make .

Odd words,mis-spelling and punctuation are most likely due to my clever phone, it seems to have its own ideas about what I am trying to say, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol

The LPA document is a heck of a lot bigger than the old EPA, perhaps that's why OPG now charge for their copies
    Mary

Now doing voluntary work at local Carers centre

Soobee's right it's the free ones they don't do anymore.
    Jennifer

Abraham J. Heschel

I went to the local benefits/job centre and they did 2 copies for me, that they stamped as certified copies. They didn't charge a penny. Excellent.