+ Post a comment

Feeling more positive today

Well, today was finally the day I went for my interview to be a volunteer. Although it is only 2 1/2 months that Mum has been gone, it seems in some ways to be a lot longer as with both Mum and aunt gone, my life has been blown apart and there is a gaping void where previously I was a carer.

There are some things I wouldn't have the confidence to do, and being hard of hearing doesn't help,but it seems that I can work in the office and help out at information events, for example. It will take a while to set up because of the CRB check, but it should be in place before the other activities I have started pack up for the school holidays in the summer.

Perhaps, before too long, the house won't seem quite so empty and I shall start to feel useful again.
    Mary

Daughter and former carer
    Now doing voluntary work at local Carers centre

Well done Mary. Good luck. x

Sylvia

Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator .

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Volunteer Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Well done for feeling so positive. It seems you will have a busy summer ahead .
    Best wishes
    Jan
    Former Carer and Volunteer Moderator

'Hope is a lover's staff, walk hence with that and manage it against despairing thoughts' (Shakespeare)

About me

Good luck Mary, I have my first interview for a job on Wednesday, very nervous though, can't remember the last time I went for one.

Alicejude x

Good luck mary, there are so many people out there who need a bit of help and a bit of love, and your experience will be invalable.
    Take care of yourself as well xx

Thank you for your good wishes. Alicejude, I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday, let us know how you get on.

Mary
    x
    Mary

Dear mary
    I hope that you thoroughly enjoy this work and that it helps to redirect your energies and abilities into something fulfilling. It can be hard trying to forge a new life after losing those we've cared for.
    Love
    Helen
    Wife and Carer

Cool Also trying to do something positive after Mums Death.

Hi Mary

Good for you - well done. I'm sure that you will make an excellent volunteer. God knows they're needed. Let us know how you get on.

I too lost my Mum recently (Jan 2012). She'd suffered from frontal temporal semantic dementia for 10 years. Being a man of a certain age I had been planning to ride from Land's End to JOG before she died. The strange thing is that the guy I was planning on doing it with had to pull out shortly after Mum died. I am now training/ fundraising for the Alzheimers Soc - Lands End to J.o.g. Bike Ride. Trying to do something positive feels like quite good therapy.

Good luck Mary and Alicejude. x

Hello Paul, I wish you all the best in your endeavours.
    Trying to do something positive feels like quite good therapy.
    I couldn't agree more.

Today, I went into the office with my ID for the CRB check. Just hope they don't get me mixed up with someone else Then the induction session is on 9th May, so hopefully I won't be waiting long to start work.

No enforced retirement here either. One of the ladies at the day centre (who used to look after Mum, incidentally) is 90 next month!

Mary
    x
    Mary

I've just arrived home after my induction morning.

The good news is that if I am working in the office I can start work before the CRB check is back.

The bad news is that the volunteer co-ordinator said she hadn't had my references back I've just spoken to one of my friends who said she hadn't yet been asked for one.

Oh dear.
    Mary

Hi Mary i have to go and have my picture taken on Thursday for my iD badge my neighbour has not heard any thing I put her down as a reference waiting for my crb which should come next week then I'm ok to start the co-ordinator said she will introduce me to the person I'm going to befriend ( not sure if lady or man yet) so that as soon as every thing comes I can start right away hope it's not long before you can start love larivy
    Life has taught me that respect,caring and love must be shared for its only through sharing that friendships are born