Thread: Cloud fetish

Cloud fetish

Mum will be sat quietly """reading""" a newspaper and suddenly JUMP out of her chair, rush to the window and stare at the clouds then DEMAND we both stand up and look.

Whilst it is brilliant sit-up exercise for all of us, it is becoming annoying.

She is exactly the same with any cars, buses or people that pass by.

Anyone got any ideas of what is going on and why ?

Also, any ideas of how to stop it ?
    Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value" Albert Einstein

dont stop it i think its good
    she showing and interest in the world like a little girl
    so mch better then just watching tv all day
    maybe get photos book out if reading is not her thing anymore

Funny my Mum has just started cloud watching. its even worse when you are driving, a sudden look at that cloud can't half make you jump I thought it was a bit odd this sudden interest in the sky.

The sudden interest will probably go as quickly as it came. As Mike Anthony says, it's good because she's at least trying to engage with the world.

It must be very disconcerting in the car!
    Joanne
    Carer and Volunteer Moderator
    When you've seen one person with Alzheimer's, you've seen one person with Alzheimer's

Not quite the same but my husband has developed a thing about watching pigeons, either in the back garden or on the roof of the house opposite. He sits and stares at them over my shoulder and it's a bit unnerving really so I think it's just one of those things and I try to ignore it.

Pauline

My dad loved feeding the wild birds in the garden, so much so they used to be sitting on the window sill waiting for his face to appear. Mostly black crows which he called Erics. Why he called them that i have no idea. The funny thing he does now in his CH, when hes finished a sandwhich he throws it through the air. I said one time Dad what are you doing and he said feeding the birds!! Old habits die hard. Its funny too to see him throwing the crusts at the TV when a bird is on it lol.

Blog Entries
    Sorry Hollycat, I can see how this is very trying - and getting cloud-fright in the car Josieb must be really off-putting!! BUT I have to agree - any interest in the outside world is wonderful. Mum, now 20 years on, can't quite identify the robins and sparrows and smaller birds at the window but there is a big, fat pigeon, and a chattering of pheasants who obligingly strut in full view - and she sees those. Can't quite remember the word for pigeon - so he's become "Big Pig". (Yes, the time of flying pigs is now upon us...)

Chucky - the image of your dad throwing his crusts in the air in the CH for the Erics is enough to cheer anyone's heart! All crows from now on, will be called Erics in honour of your dad.

Hollycat - you are probably enviably slim now, with all the cloud-spotting - but I wonder, as Mike suggests, if a photographic book about clouds might give a little respite?!

When my uncle was first diagnosed with Alz, he said colours were really vivid, and kind of jumped out at him outdoors, said it was a real 'Wow!' sort of reaction. From his description it sounded almost as th'o he was on LSD, although I am sure he was not.

Could the cloud reaction be a bit like this do you think?

G

How strange, my mother also went through a Cloud fetish but it didn't last long.

R

Yes, my aunt also watched clouds and talked about them. In fact I think it was anything at all moving in the sky seemed to have a fascination for her, and she was always pointing them out to us - so it was clouds, and birds, and they were all called 'those funny bunnies'....

Thanks for all your replies.

It feels a bit of a weak posting when you look at some of the problems folks have out there. Very interesting to read similar situations in your own lives.

Whilst I am happy that "she has an interest" it is really my own personal mental state that I posted. It goes on and on and on.

The hand rubbing goes on and on but at least you can look away and ignore it but it is the SPEED and SHOCK you get when she LEAPS out of her chair.

I know I should be happy that she has an interest and still has the ability to LEAP; I am happy about that by the way.

Like everything, I will learn to cope, but just posted for your experiences, so thanks again for sharing them
    Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value" Albert Einstein

Lancs (Mother's house) and W. Yorks (home - occasionally)
    Mother loves looking at the sky, and is fascinated by aeroplane trails ("Aren't we lucky that we can see them here without being disturbed by the noise of the planes") as well as clouds. I suppose it's something to talk about which doesn't need any remembering, as it's there right in front of her (or rather, right above her!).