+ Post a comment

Compulsory Registration of Healthcare Assistants

This subject has been of interest to members , particularly when related to cases of negligence .
    The proposal for compulsory registration was not supported by the government
    and the poposal was lost on debate
    The following report in Hansard on the debate in the House of Lords,may not be considered the most interesting to read on a Sunday afternoon
    but it does give an insight of the mindset of our 'rulers' particularly when they vote against something that otherwise seems like common sense
    jimbo 111

http://www.publications.parliament.u...20313-0001.htm

I have just ploughed through about half of it and will have another go when my eyes have uncrossed. So far it makes for interesting reading. I thought, isn't it funny getting interested in something that a short while ago I wouldn't of given it another thought. And now I think it's very important. Not that I have grasped the full point but I'm not sure if I'm in favour of voluntary registration anything.

Oops sorry I was trying to preview and posted by mistake. I was refering to some point that had been made about voluntary registration. I am in favour of compulsory of course.

I'm not only passionate about compulsory registration but about compulsory training and nationally recognised qualifications Jimbo! I'm not talking about high level university training but good basics in caring and some understanding of the nature of the illness. I think this is the only way that professional carers will be properly recognised and given better status in our society than they presently have.

Surely our elderly, or frail or mentally incapacitated citizens, deserve to be taken care of by qualified people. Even the lovely lady who cuts my hair has a nationally recognised qualification before she is allowed near my hair!!

Politicians do not seek out or listen to the views of you and I, except when they want our vote. Even then I wonder if they are listening to us??

xxTinaT
    Last edited by TinaT; 15-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything....

Perhaps we should all do our bit by contacting our MP and telling them how disturbed we are at the lack of progress and lack of committment to provide the very best for older people in our community.

I think we can also ask questions of any care home or provider we use about what in service training they provide for their staff, and how many have their NVQ Level 2 or Level 3 in Care, because as pointed out above if we go to the hairdressers everyone is working towards an NVQ and it should be the same in the caring profession.

Quote Originally Posted by ggma View Post
    Perhaps we should all do our bit by contacting our MP and telling them how disturbed we are at the lack of progress and lack of committment to provide the very best for older people in our community.

I think we can also ask questions of any care home or provider we use about what in service training they provide for their staff, and how many have their NVQ Level 2 or Level 3 in Care, because as pointed out above if we go to the hairdressers everyone is working towards an NVQ and it should be the same in the caring profession.
    ggma
    A good point that!
    Not quite the response I thought this thread would bring
    The governments petitions is full of frustrations and never seems to get anywhere on the issues of healthcare
    I wonder if a 'round robin' letter fom each member of TP to our own MP's would get any response ( or is that against the rules of TP ?????????? I can't see why it is if we are not writing on behalf of TP )

A nicely drafted letter ( perhaps mentioning sending a copy to the local opposition might get a response ) At least it would enhance awarement
    Do we know anyone who would be good at writing a letter and willing to do it????
    We know someone who is good at writing petitions ---. I wonder ( incognito of course)

Have sent you a PM Jimbo

xxTinaT
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything....

The government seem to have turned their back on the question of compulsory
    registration , and it is highly unlikely that the issue will be raised again in the lifetime
    of the current parliament
    But if the Coalition Government's popularity continues to fall as it is now, by the time of the next election (and it's not that far away in political terms)they will be desperate for supporting votes,
    A sitting MP ( or an aspiring politician)who is reminded of the concerns of constituents will be very conscious of an issue that could lose him votes
    I am aware of the disparate political views of members .but I would suggest that
    members views on this subject are apolitical . and only trying to further the cause
    of better care for the elderly and disabled , including dementia
    jimbo 111
    Last edited by jimbo 111; 15-04-2012 at 07:48 PM.