Tracking device to find grandmother

My grandma has dementia and, among other things, often wonders off for hours and we have no idea where she is. We've had to call the police twice now to help find her.

We're looking into buying some sort of tracking device which we can put in her handbag so we can easily find her again the next time she goes missing. This sort of product seems to be fairly common for Alzheimers/dementia sufferers in the US but I haven't been able to find any information on UK-based services.

We've considered picking up an iPhone or similar which allows users to share their location with friends automatically, but a phone would need to be charged every other day at least and there's no way that she'd remember to do this. So instead we're trying to find something purpose-made.

Does anyone here use something like this that they can recommend?

Blog Entries
    I was looking into something similar for my mum. have a look on the west sussex county council website as they have a system where you buy a gadget that sits in a pocket or more likely a handbag and gives off a gps signal linked to a website that shows a map location of where the person is. I don't know if it is a national system but you would be able to check.

I'm doing this via my phone otherwise i would put the link for you!
    Last edited by Dazmum; 14-04-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Jennie

"All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
    ― Julian of Norwich

Quote Originally Posted by Dazmum View Post
    I was looking into something similar for my mum. have a look on the west sussex county council website as they have a system where you buy a gadget that sits in a pocket or more likely a handbag and gives off a gps signal linked to a website that shows a map location of where the person is. I don't know if it is a national system but you would be able to check.

I'm doing this via my phone otherwise i would put the link for you!
    thanks Dazmum.

we've had a look on the website but can't find the service. Do you remember what it was called?

Thanks
    Andrew

Blog Entries
    I'll have a look for you when i can get to my pc, may be later today if that's ok.
    Jennie

"All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
    ― Julian of Norwich

Blog Entries
    Found it! the website address is

www.mindme.co.uk its run through council careline. systems. it was chichester council so sorry to send you on the wrong track.
    Jennie

― Julian of Norwich

Thank you that looks perfect, have you used it yourself?

Jennifer

Volunteer moderator and former long distance carer.

A test of a people is how it behaves toward the old. It is easy to love children. Even tyrants and dictators make a point of being fond of children. But the affection and care for the old, the incurable, the helpless are the true gold mines of a culture.

Abraham J. Heschel

(Jenniferpa, you beat me to it)
    See also some previous threads:

Tracking devices outside the home
    http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showt...tside-the-home

GPS Tracking Devices
    http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showt...acking-Devices

Quote Originally Posted by Water drinker View Post
    The GPS has been a god send. I know I can drive straight to him now if I wanted to by calling his GPS for its position.
    Last edited by nmintueo; 03-05-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    I haven't as other things occurred and mum is now in a care home, but we did talk to the company and it all seemed reasonable and effective.
    Jennie

― Julian of Norwich