+ Post a comment

Council tax and attendance allowance

Hello, I'm trying to sneak in 2 questions for the price of one here!
    Mum's been in a care home for 4 months, she is self funding. Following a brain scan we now have an official AZ diagnosis.

Q1 Does this mean I can apply for attendance allowance for her?
    Q2 She still owns the house she used to live in and in the current economic climate it may take time to sell. Does she still have to pay council tax given that she is not using council services in that area any more?

Any advice gratefully recieved, I'm helping her manage her savings to pay for the care home and I don't want her to pay bills she doesn't need to

Hi, regarding Council Tax do contact the local council asap - certainly in Gloucestershire it is not payable if in care home and no one else living in the house (Exemption E). May not be back dated so action as soon as soon as you can. Attendance allowance can be paid if self fundiing - not paid if local authority helping with fees.

Not sure about the Council Tax, but definitely apply for Attendance Allowance. As she is in a Care Home you should also try and apply for the higher rate, as staff will almost certainly be attending to her during the night. Before you complete the forms do get some help filling them in (Alzheimers Outreach worker, Age Concern, etc), as the way you answer the questions has a huge affect on how successful your claim will be (tick box mentality).

Sue

My mum does not pay council tax because of her having vascular deminsher.Maybe it varies from councils.

No, I can confirm it is law, so that councils have to follow it. As a previous poster said, ask your council for a form for a Class E exemption.

With regard to Attendance Allowance, I would agree with Sue that if you can get someone like Age UK to help you fill in the form it would help. If you do not have Age UK try googling "Welfare Benefits" with the area and you may find a local organisation to help you.
    Mary

Daughter and former carer
    Now doing voluntary work at local Carers centre

No if the property is empty there will be no Council Tax to pay. I had refund from council from when mam went into care home.

She is also self funding but was already getting AA before going into the home. It is well worth sorting this out as it does help towards the fees.

Also look into whether she is getting Pension Credit as I found out my mother was entitled to this as well. Another thing I have recently found out is that if you are clearing out the house to sell etc and need to get rid of things like old beds then you dont have to pay council to collect from the roadside if she is getting benefits (pension credit).

Thumbs up

Many thanks everyone, I'm getting on with it now