Vascular dementia - rapid deterioration in my dad

Hy dad was diagnosed with vascular dementia a few years ago. Up until about 6 weeks ago he was really just like a "normal" 81 year old, a little deaf, forgetful etc and had had a few "episodes". Then he had a period of confusion and it turned out he had a chest infection. He was in a nursing home for 3 weeks as my mother was away, and while muddled there, could still be himself and make sense. In the last couple of weeks he has gone downhill rapidly, he starts off saying things which sound like they make sense but by the end of the sentance it not longer does. He is hardly eating, will take a sip of a cup of tea if you remind him, but then not any more until you next remind him. He has also been getting progressively more breathless and dizzy and in fact we are watiing on a home visit from his GP as he is currently having an attack. My mum who was a nurse, says its heart failure, but that while it could be the beginning of the end, could also be managed with drugs. My head is spinning, I feel like I've not had enough time to get my head around all this. We are looking into homes for him, it all seems so sudden.

Not really sure what I'm asking really, just venting I think as I can't do that to my mum as she is hugely stressed already so I have to be calm and help her.

Red

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. But it may just be the chest infection. Infections of any sort seem to have a very dramatic effect on people with dementia. Your dad's symptoms sound very similar to my mum's. She was diagnosed with vascular dementia about 2.5 years ago and has been going pretty steadily downhill ever since. She is often breathless and dizzy and doesn't want to eat or drink and I fear the worst. Then she picks up again. Your mother seems like she is in a positon to know more than most of us. All I'd say is that it seems very hard to know what is happening with demetia patients. I wish you all the best.